SRB uses.

ryan234abc

Lately I have begun to use SRB's (solid rocket boosters) for more than just assisting launches. Mainly, I have been using Fleas to kill speed and place myself on sub-orbital trajectories. I have found the precision rewarding when it pays off, and SRB's can be used, detached and forgotten. My question today is : how do YOU use SRB's, for purposes other than launching? Don't forget to +rep anything you like posted here!:cool:

I used SRBs to land a big, Antonov-like plane on the smaller island runway. It was super easy to setup with KER. Did a flyby as slow as I could, rememberd the numbers and set the SRBs to have the dV of the lowest speed I could achieve while approaching the runway. Fired the boosters, the caps covering them went flying and stopped way before the control tower.

CA3FE08D2D5433FB195C7133A1328CDCCBCA64B2

AC889E46B5BA122AFAE0EADDBCD3E808024571C6

Big puff of smoke

D646CEAF563DE98C74652F3A49F1B6CA3B6E85D6

Taxiing to the hangars

Edited by Veeltch

Oh, the early game... Test Flea on escape trajectory from Kerbin. Test Radial Decoupler on escape trajectory from Kerbin. And just Hammer at my disposal.

Then: Test BACC in atmospheric flight of Kerbin (specific altitude, speed).

Oh, yeah.

30 parts limit. 10 BACC first stage, decoupler. 7 BACC 2nd stage, decoupler. 4 BACC 3rd stage, decoupler. 1 BACC 4th stage, Decoupler. 1 Flea, 1 Stayputnik, 2 Radial Decouplers.

It almost reached Sun low orbit.

I use sepratrons (theyre SRB too!) to help me get rid of my SRB cluster stages/boosters (when the smallest cluster is six kickbacks you need the sepratrons).

Maybe using sepratrons to help with munar probe landing, as its ruggedized body is resistant up to 75m/s.

I generally don't bring SRBs to space. Their Isp is so low that they are just too heavy for the little delta v they give. Lower stages get too large because of that. The one thing SRBs are good at is producing lots of thrust for cheap. I almost never launch something without SRBs.

I stopped using srbs at one point in career. They are just to unreliable. 90%of my launch crashes were with srbs running. Asparagus staging can throttle down in an emergency.

I'm playing Real Solar System and always use them on the first stage. I prefer to make an oversized and underpowered lower stage, which is assisted by some SRBs that detach as soon as the T/W ratio of the mid section is enough to fly. Basically the scummy exploiting real rocket systems like the Ariane 5 or SLS do.

I'm playing Real Solar System and always use them on the first stage. I prefer to make an oversized and underpowered lower stage, which is assisted by some SRBs that detach as soon as the T/W ratio of the mid section is enough to fly. Basically the scummy exploiting real rocket systems like the Ariane 5 or SLS do.

Hey, I do that for heavy lifters in stock! :)

Why does everyone on the forum call it a SRB? If you don't use it as a booster its a Solid Rocket Motor(SRM)

All SRMs are SRBs or Sepratrons by design, though, people just don't care. ;)

Almost all of my launches, especially the smaller missions, use exclusively SRBs for the first stage. A satellite booster will have a single LFO stack with 2 or 4 radial SRBs, and they'll use SRB power to get up to around 10km altitude. I'll even stagger them - a Mun satellite might have a launch vehicle with two radial SRBs throttled back to 50% and two throttled back to 25%, staged to detach each pair when they're out of fuel. That can easily get you to 20km with some practice, and needs not much fuel to get to orbit after that.

I moved to 100% recoverable launchers... ie, basically SSTOs...

But not everything was an SSTO. Some payloads I could only manage a vertical launch, or needed more thrust on launch.

So I used them as RATO packs.

I didn't take a screen shot of the launcher on the runway... but here are the RATO packs (it was a vertical, tail sitting launch) left on the runway...

11057974_10103669579530033_499678238987866084_n.jpg?oh=13ade873dcfb50aa91ed381357912da3&oe=56339E29

I used the runway because if I used the launchpad, they wouldn't land on it, as I pitch forward after lighting them.

This thing would not be able to launch vertically from kerbin without them:

11168022_10103709475802583_3907133693305039078_n.jpg?oh=7d40d1d66b165cea3cb16ffe21401581&oe=56110DE3

Its a duna lander/ascent vehicle... winged for the ability to land in a more precise spot, also the cross formed by the wings at the back provides a stable base to make it less likely to tip over (It lands as a tail sitter).

1795678_10103669579445203_6304544089077422022_n.jpg?oh=4546b7ac40d0b915e288e48af5351b27&oe=560EC638

100% recovery of launcher parts... it just wouldn't work without the SRBs.

The RATO packs need to be exhuasted and jettissoned so that they land on the runway, and do so before they are out of physics range. Liquid fuel engines would have lots of engine mass per unit fuel mass to achieve this high thrust, but small ∆V task.

I never brought SRB's to Orbit but I found it very interesting to use them for a large way into Space as they are really really cheap compared to their Performances (But also really heavy).

Check out the Ares Rocket Family.

Ares_I_Evolution.jpg

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

I clip them into tanks to make big solid rocket boosters and just used them as well, boosters. Nice for small rocket central stages, and sometimes, if you know the delta v values well, as a orbital kick motor (think Star 48 IRL)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.