Stuff in Space

I've seen this before, it's pretty cool.

That's an awful lot of debris and rocket bodies floating around out there. Now imagine throwing up 650+ more LEO satellites for that new internet dream folks have been discussing. Yea.

Currently there are about 2465 artificial satellites orbiting the Earth. Imagine doing that in KSP.

Well.....

I'll imagine KSP could handle updating the positions and displaying the orbits the same as this Stuff In Space app does; After all, it's running right now on my machine with every satellite, rocket body, and debris part orbiting 'real-time' - and doing so without choking.

To have each object an actual model with 'x' number of parts involved??? Yea (the way it's done now?), my laptop would melt ("Halt and Catch Fire") for sure. lol

Is disproportional graphical representation supposed to make it look worse than it is?

I would say it's quite accurate. The data for all the objects is coming from Space-Track.org, the orbital elements are displayed when the object is clicked on, and if you wish you can confirm those via tools on the NASA/JPL site (HORIZONS and/or Celestrak) which provides proper orbital elements (ephemeris)... data which I've pulled a number of times for use with Celestia.

I would say it's quite accurate. The data for all the objects is coming from Space-Track.org, the orbital elements are displayed when the object is clicked on, and if you wish you can confirm those via tools on the NASA/JPL site (HORIZONS and/or Celestrak) which provides proper orbital elements (ephemeris)... data which I've pulled a number of times for use with Celestia.

I mean these objects' dimensions. If their icons/"blips" were sized proportionally to their real size and Earth, you'd see nothing except Earth.

I mean these objects' dimensions. If their icons/"blips" were sized proportionally to their real size and Earth, you'd see nothing except Earth.

I think you indicated perfectly clear why the graphical representation is disproportional :)

Wait, is this just satelites or does it include debris?

In red are the satellites, in blue the spent rocket stages and in gray the debris

EDIT : Found a Thor ablestar debris from 1961... Now that's pretty old. I would have thought that kind of stuff would've decayed by now

Edited by Hcube

When the density of artificial objects in orbit gets high enough.

You know that translates to: "The camel's back will break when the last straw is added".

Also, we are already at a point where the density is high enough to trigger it.

Surely this can be calculated right ? How come space agencies only have very vague approximations of when it could happen ?

The real question why you think this would be perfectly predictable :) It is a phenomena that has been unseen and untested, just predicted. Of course it is a matter of approximations, since the mechanics are not fully understood and verified. Even extensively studied and tested systems have a fair degree of deviation when it comes to predictions.

What is the source of that information?

You know that translates to: "The camel's back will break when the last straw is added".

Not at all. It means that once there is a large number of satellites (large being many many times more than the current number of satellites) around Earth the likelihood of a "Kessler Syndrome Event" will be high enough that it's a guarantee.

The current satellite density is pretty low. Many thousands of satellites within a very large amount of space.

Kessler Syndrome is overrated.

Yes there are collisions, but they're not very common.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.