What are your quirks?

annallia

I love building and designing stupid things that require cheats to be useful. Like a rocket sled, which work amazingly well with infinite fuel on, or a rocket seat SSTO provided with everything a Kerbal could need and able to do everything by itself.

I also feel obligated to put probe cores on EVERY ship I make. Just in case something happens to the crew.

And I cheat. A lot. To build gigantic bases on several planets.

I love digging through blogs like "Vintage Space", "False Steps", "Beyond Apollo", "Eyes Turned Skyward", etc, for ideas about spacecraft and missions that were never followed through on, or were attempted and failed. Then I see if I can work around the problems and make things work (in a sandbox, we don't need no steenking budget!). I'm running a very successful N1/LOK/LK programme, and plan to tackle Mir 2 after learning the pitfalls of building Mir 1. Blue Gemini is coming along nicely, as well.

I'm also big on verisimilitude. The closer I can get my work to look as it would in the real world, the better.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

• 2 weeks later...

SRBs.

I just can't stop putting SRBs in all my rockets.

To be fair, my only rocket that hasn't got any SRBs is my interplanetary launcher because Kickbacks are too weak (though with KW Rocketry it's going to change soon).

Thing is, I don't only use them for boosters: the crew transfer rocket I use for my main space station has a first stage made of solely 4 Kickbacks, I know it makes it really hard to rotate the rocket but I just love putting these around. :D

SRBs.

I just can't stop putting SRBs in all my rockets.

To be fair, my only rocket that hasn't got any SRBs is my interplanetary launcher because Kickbacks are too weak (though with KW Rocketry it's going to change soon).

Thing is, I don't only use them for boosters: the crew transfer rocket I use for my main space station has a first stage made of solely 4 Kickbacks, I know it makes it really hard to rotate the rocket but I just love putting these around. :D

Hey, no need to diss the SRBs.

My space station on an asteroid has four BACCs. Empty, launched empty too. SRBs make for some very good structural elements :)

Nice lander! Does it have an ISRU unit?

Yes I'm onto next-generation craft now. They all (mostly) have ISRU units on board along with anything else you might need to explore the Kerbol system. I have no need for space stations or mining bases or transports, I can do everything quicker and easier with my fleet of starships. I'll still build a few bases/stations but I like to keep then total number of active flights on my save games less than 20 - and with that number I could have infrastructure all over the Kerbol system. Then I would just need to build a ship that can go as far as Minmus and it will be able to go anywhere after that. So I'm free to design whatever I want.

JR

I get a tad emotional when launching a train..

chances are shes not coming back to KSC yard ever again and instead litters the landscape on the big green scrapyard :(

see :( poor thing dont u just want to hug her and be all like noooooooo dont go!

EDIT: fixed video link

Edited by Overland

I tend to build rockets with too much delta, and then try to use stages for stuff that they're clearly not meant for. My LKO crew rescue vehicle? I tend to drag along the boost stage for awhile since it's always got just a little bit (well, ok, 700+ LF/O) of extra fuel left over.

I now put landing legs on my transfer/launch stages to minmus. I have used both mainsails and mammoths vs poodles or terriers.

I now put landing legs on my transfer/launch stages to minmus. I have used both mainsails and mammoths vs poodles or terriers.

Wow, landing on Minmus with a Mammoth must require very fine control of the shift and ctrl buttons!

- - - Updated - - -

Never making something accurate enough, the fuel tank does not have the LF and O separate!!!!!!

It does, you just can't see them because they're hidden by the tank's outer shell ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.