Game Crashes After Few Minutes

KSP: 1.0.4 Windows 32bit on Win7 64bit (Q9550 @3.6Ghz / 8Gram / HD7970 Ghz)

Problem: The game crashes within minutes of loading my career save file (between 1-5 mins), as soon as I switch to the space center or vessel. I do have a lot of mods installed, but this problem only started happening last night after having played all day. I've had these same mods installed since I started my career save, so about a week or two ago. Really I cannot figure out a reason why it would start crashing constantly without changing or installing any additional mods. I am guessing that the problem is with one of the mods, since my memory does not go above 3Gb, but I might be wrong.

Settings as follows:

• Forcing d3d11, and have been for ages. Opengl crashes for me.
  • All mods through Ckan, and game executed thru it as well.
  • PPFX off

I have deleted some mods, re installed KSP, and then re installed the mods that I would like to use.

Hopefully, I can find the mod at fault or some answers/guidance. I believe that this game running with the mods I have active has to be the best game I have ever played and cannot get enough of it :)

Mods Installed:

n0H3Vmb6MbG5xwLAk-O-M2A-6B4g3YOIc074jgDCBC8?size=1600x1200&size_mode=2

XyeuujNADvONSgygYKbdNjlfAE2rhDM_aOcQwvcPQtg?size=1600x1200&size_mode=2

Log:

Output: https://db.tt/tbWz54k5

Error: https://db.tt/iyXAoyd4

Thank you guys so much!

Edited by DScamp
Removed some mods and did a clean install

I figured out that the problem was a vessel that I had in orbit. I have no idea why, but after I deleted it from the tracking station, the game is back to running smooth.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I figured out that the problem was a vessel that I had in orbit. I have no idea why, but after I deleted it from the tracking station, the game is back to running smooth.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I haven't tried deleting any ships but I can't play for more than 10 minutes at a time without a memory crash.

I decided to give up on the game until 1.1 is released.

I really wanted to play again though so I tried again on 1.04 since I haven't played in a month or so. Crashed within minutes so I'm back to waiting on 1.1.

I haven't tried deleting any ships but I can't play for more than 10 minutes at a time without a memory crash.

I decided to give up on the game until 1.1 is released.

I really wanted to play again though so I tried again on 1.04 since I haven't played in a month or so. Crashed within minutes so I'm back to waiting on 1.1.

what are your specs? Tried ATM? OpenGL?

I haven't tried OpenGl on the current build so i will give that another go.

edit: I just tried OpenGl mode and it starts the game at about 1.7GB usage down from 3Gb so that's a fairly big saving and should provide some extra headroom.

edit 2: I played for about 10 mins and the memory usage has gone up about 300mb. Still the OpenGl setting should provide 30-40 minutes of play before crashing which is a lot better than before.

edit 3: Nvidia OpenGl exception error - crashed to desktop. Guess it's not the answer after all.

I'm not sure what ATM is?

The memory usage usually starts out at about 3GB for KSP then slowly creeps up to 3.6 or so, then crashes. It seems to be associated with flipping around screens. So if I pilot a ship then go back to the KSC then to the hanger etc it won't release the memory and continues to increase.

My System is:

Intel I5 2500k @ 4.4ghz

Asrock Z68 Extreme4

16GB DDR3

Nvidia GTX 970

Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit

dUVEjWF.jpg

h2mf7nJ.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51LnE86eEvJZE1YWXJqUzZtT2s/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51LnE86eEvJN2UtekxnaVpVT28/view?usp=sharing

Edited by uglyduckling81

Get rid of Active Texture Management ASAP! 1.0.4 already uses DDS textures. You should see a huge improvement after you uninstall it. :)

I also had some problems with HotRockets, but I haven't tried it recently.

Also, you should disable "fallback part shaders". You should only use that setting on a low end PC, when SM3 or SM2 shaders are not supported (which yours does support and have it checked on)

One last thing is the "Max persistent debris" on the in game options. I set it to 0 and it hogs up less memory since it doesn't keep tracking debris left by your vessels.

Edited by DScamp

I tried the advice given here. I have definitely improved memory use.

Since taking off Texture Manager though I can not get clouds to work. Tried clean install with just the clouds from EVE and Astronomers. Removed the City lights component. Crashes after the modules are loaded and the loading icon comes up in the bottom right just before the menu should appear.

Readyboost is just a fancy name for extending the pagefile onto a flash drive. I'm dubious as to it's touted performance benefits as most modern hard drives are faster than a USB flash drive anyway. If you have an SSD I doubt it will do anything at all.

All of this is irrelevant for KSP, unless you have ~<3GB System RAM, in which case you're barely meeting the minimum system requirements anyway - just get more RAM. Even the fastest USB stick is far, far slower than system RAM.

KSPs memory issues are not generally due to running out of physical RAM, it's running out of 32bit addressable RAM. That limit is ~4GB in theory, and (on Windows) ~3.5GB in practice, regardless of how much physical memory you have installed or the size of the (virtual memory) pagefile.

The only way to circumvent that limit is to ditch 32bit addressing - i.e. a stable 64bit Unity.

Edited by steve_v

I have 32bit Windows 7 and 4GB RAM...so...I am not sure if I understand well to your advice

"The only way to circumvent that limit is to ditch 32bit addressing - i.e. a stable 64bit Unity"

Thank you

Basically steve_v is saying that until SQUAD comes out with a 64 bit version of KSP, these memory crashes will continue with a heavily modded install. That advice could only be directed toward SQUAD and the developers of KSP, so wasn't really for anyone specific in the thread...more a statement of what it will take to ever be able to use tons of mods in KSP without crashing (on Windows that is....Linux 64bit works perfectly fine and I've had up to 13Gb of RAM usage in Linux).

In your case, that wouldn't even matter because you're using a 32 bit system and not 64 bit. You are permanently locked to a cap of 4Gb (3.5Gb in practice for Windows) until you upgrade your system to 64 bit.

What is so unstable about the 64bit version? Are we talking about the stock 64 version, or a modded one?

I haven't tried that version yet, but I would give anything to be able to play this game without crashing every 20 mins or so...

What is so unstable about the 64bit version? Are we talking about the stock 64 version, or a modded one?
Any windows 64bit version. Again, some have good results, some nothing but problems.

The only supported (by Squad / Unity) 64bit player is on GNU/Linux.

Squad put an experimental Windows 64bit build up for a while, it caused the modding community so much grief with random un-reproducable bugs that several of them locked out Win64 to keep the noise down and get back to fixing legit mod issues.

The flames rose high, much anger, Squad pulled the 64bit version.

If you want to try it, there's a thread around here somewhere on that topic. DO NOT BUG MODDERS if you do, if you have issues, repro in a 32bit install or 64bit on Linux.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.