Asteroid overheating

So I don't have pictures yet, but I set out to capture an asteroid. This time I tried to use a pull configuration to move a class E. However even on low throttle the CLASS E asteroid nearly overheats in seconds, why is this is overheating no longer related to mass?

Also does this mean landing this is out of the question now?

Thanks

JT

Edited by JTpopcorn

Are your engines pointed at the asteroid? Might be that the exhaust is hitting it.

I haven't tried an asteroid tug yet, so, I don't know what the problem could be.

Yes the engines are pointing at the asteroid but I would think it would take a while to heat up because of its mass. The problem is that on full throttle it would overheat in seconds. Is there a fix?

Yes the engines are pointing at the asteroid but I would think it would take a while to heat up because of its mass. The problem is that on full throttle it would overheat in seconds. Is there a fix?

I would doubt it, considering pulling an asteroid wouldn't work in real life unless the nozzles were on outriggers out beyond the width of the asteroid. In which case, the exhaust wouldn't heat it and you wouldn't have a problem ;).

Here is a puller-design I used a while back for class E asteroids; have not tested it however with the new temperature system.

The idea was to increase the distance between engines and asteroid so far that the exhause "ends" before the asteroid.

NRqOWSl.jpg

While that might be true from a "realism" standpoint, I'm still surprised to hear that a Class E asteroid heats up that quickly from any engines.

I'd still be interested in seeing what your setup looks like, because I wouldn't expect a Class E to heat up and explode in mere seconds.

Cheers,

~Claw

While that might be true from a "realism" standpoint, I'm still surprised to hear that a Class E asteroid heats up that quickly from any engines.

I'd still be interested in seeing what your setup looks like, because I wouldn't expect a Class E to heat up and explode in mere seconds.

Cheers,

~Claw

I used a pusher to bring an E-Class (approx 1550t) into an aerobraking maneuver, and it will start to overheat at 63000m (asteroid and craft were traveling approx 3200m/s), and will explode under 45000m leaving the attached craft to continue onwards without exploding. I have screen shots of a decent into Upper Kerbin atmosphere without dipping below 50000m but shows the temperature gauges rising and nearly maxing out.

Asteroids overheating is a bug known and reported in bug trackers (#4934/#4992, both hidden from public view) since 5/5/15. Didn't get developer time to fix yet. Your findings confirm what already reported (thanks :)).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.