Sorry friend, you're doomed....

kc8hnz

Not that hard. Solar rendezvous is almost as easy as Kerbin, it just takes more fuel and more time.

A low Sun orbit is lower than Moho. That rendezvous is not going to be fuel-friendly by any means.

I wish there was a hot Jupiter in the game. :P

If you are going to take that mission, be prepared for huge expenses. It will take a lot of money, fuel and time to get this poor fellow home :( But think about the bragging rights and feeling of accomplishment :D

Hmm with 200k advance funds and 460k completion funds, you probably can make it worth it with ion, but you'll really have to stretch it... I would never pick that contract !

Hmm with 200k advance funds and 460k completion funds, you probably can make it worth it with ion, but you'll really have to stretch it... I would never pick that contract !

In a word, absolutely not.

"Low" solor orbit is below 1Mm. So far in the Solar Limbo challenge, only 4 people have gotten below 1Mm and lived. The current record is held by LordCorwin at 589km and change.

Ships only survive that low if they have radiators (and lots of them), so just a pod by itself will explode once physics loads as you approach it.

But assuming it doesn't, EVA Kerbals explode above 1Mm so the only chance you have here is to grab it with the Klaw. And the Klawship has to have enough dV to circularize below 1Mm from Kerbol, then get back to Kerbin, then slow down at Kerbin enough on thrust and maybe a Mun gravity assist that it can survive aerobraking at Kerbin.

Ugh... It always makes me wonder - how the hell do they get stranded like that? What did he even do there?

Clearly Jerbick accepted a tourist contract for a suborbital sun flight. After getting stuck he did the smartest thing he could. Ditched his tourist. ;)

Yeah, so I got this contract with Scott Kerman Stranded in a Solar Orbit. I couldn't help but accept it, just so I can have Scott Kerman on my rooster xD

The mission would cost about 15000 delta V. I was lucky enough to be able to unlock the Nuke Engine for this, but it still ended up being a ship that runs at under 10 FPS at all times. The Launch of the Tug that had 10k of the 15k delta V needed, launched at 3 FPS from Kerbin. I still need to do the circularization burn and rendezvous, but I am pretty confident I'll make it back with Scott and land him safely.

Here is a picture of the Tug and the main rescue ship in Kerbin Orbit:

48c676bccc.jpg

(Don't pay attention to KER dV readouts. It doesn't know I'll ditch the tug when it's emty)

If you wanna see the mission, it's part of my KSP YouTube series. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.