This may be a stupid question or two... but...

Since the game changed and I never read about... well, I'm not one for reading stuff anyhow, so it might have been somewhere but... I cannot find it now.

Question one...

Most of my rockets make this awful screeching sound, metal on metal, I guess it means stresses of some kind, but how to stop it?

And this may be connected, but the ... excuse me, brain fade here... the blue symbol in the HUD keeps jumping everywhere and not staying put, it makes navigation impossible you need to have it locked on with the other symbol to travel to it... How do I fix that?

Sorry for the non technical language... M.S. dementia strikes again, sorry.

The screeching sound sounds like the stresses mod (don't have a link right now, on mobile) I'm almost positive this isn't stock cause I've never experienced it.

As for the navball jumping around, you said "blue symbol" which the only blue symbol I can think of is the maneuver node, and that jumps around when you've completed the maneuver.

Can you try to give a bit more detail?

There are two blue symbols; One for target burns, and another for radial/anti-radial directions.

I'll assume you're talking about the target burn one, since that issue is more common.

The target burn will often appear to 'jump' around when the amount of delta-v left in the burn is very low. (i.e. less than 10m/s low) Timewarping will cause it to stabilize, but once you drop out of time warp it'll start happening again. It is generally caused by some sort of physics instability such as part clipping (parts in service bays are especially notorious), but can also be caused by a lack of structural rigidity (add more struts) and occasionally for no good reason at all.

When this instability happens, the amount of time remaining in the burn as well as your orbital path often become jumpy as well.

I don't know of a good way of fixing it permanently, but since it only happens with very small velocities it's easy to ignore.

Edited by Reddeyfish

The screeching sound sounds like the stresses mod (don't have a link right now, on mobile) I'm almost positive this isn't stock cause I've never experienced it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114618-0-90-ShipEffects-Sound-Mod-Dynamic-Sound-Effects-v0-2-6-Alarm-System-in-DEV!

Here is the link for the stress sound mod. It hasn't been updated since 0.90 but is reported to work in 1.02. I may give it a whirl in a couple of days when I have some free time to play KSP. It looks interesting.

@pslytely psycho

IMHO, don't. Its freaking annoying.

As for the mod, I was unaware I had a mod like that. It will be deleted ASAP.

@ Kryxal

@ Reddeyfish

I think you two hit the nail on the head. If its rigidity it wants, then I'll start using struts. I tend to only use struts on my monsters!

I think it may be time to use struts and redesign my creations, with emphasis on more, or less, RCS units.

@ Everyone else.

Thanks for your help. I'll now look into it. I'm guessing that the navigation side of it is caused by not enough struts, badly placed RCS units and maybe a badly designed rocket for starters.

Its not really a problem I could ignore, because the rocket was going nowhere and burning up 90%+ of my RCS fuel trying to line up the burn.

I'll report back ASAP.

Again, thanks everyone.

EDIT: Just looked, I do not have the shipeffects mod installed. :(

Will look for another culprit, especially since I was told its not stock in the game...

Edited by kiwi1960

I get the metallic screechy sound when I use many of the same engine in a single stage, I think something about how it handles multiples of the same sound causes it (my old Eve ascent vehicle with 19 aerospikes sounded like it was tearing itself apart). Does a rocket lifted by a single engine make the same sound for you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.