Bug @ mining

Hello everyone, I found a bug. Hope to find some help here:

[TABLE=width: 605]

[TR]

[TD]I set up my first mining colony at Mun.

I refine ore and transform it to Fuel and Oxidizer.

Then I go to the Tracking Station, doing something else.

When I go back to the mining colony the game crashes.

If I reload I can access the mining colony only to find it within the Mun or the Mun completely gone.

If I load a close vessel from the Tracking Station and switch by ´ all is fine. The mining colony is in the right place again.

If I go to Tracking Station and try to access it directly: same result like in the beginning. 1st freeze, then the colony is withing the Mun.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]I use some UKS parts on the Colony, but rest is stock.

Because it has a very large mass I tried to do the test with a smaller mining base. The results are the same.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]So has someone else same issues?[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Can you upload an output_log.txt? Chances are there is some kind of exception logged in there that may indicate what is going wrong. Please see the "How to get support" sticky thread for info about finding this if you don't know...

[TABLE=width: 605]

[TR]

[TD]I use some UKS parts on the Colony, but rest is stock.

Because it has a very large mass I tried to do the test with a smaller mining base. The results are the same.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]So has someone else same issues?[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

A shot in the dark here:

Most people use Windows, so assuming you're on Windows, you're probably running the 32 bit version of KSP. Running with mods can greatly increase the memory footprint of KSP. I suspect that the big parts packs are the biggest memory consumers because the textures probably eat up tons of space.

If all of that is true, chances are what you're seeing is a side-effect of KSP running out of memory. I'd expect your game just crashes a lot too.

I've found that there's three ways of running KSP: with DX9, DX11, or with OpenGL. You can select which one by using command line options when you start KSP. (Both Steam and CKAN have options to set the command line arguments if you start the game that way.)

DX9 is the default and is what you're using if you haven't explicitly set it up to run with one of the other graphics interfaces. DX9 uses, by far, the most memory. If you're running Windows and using any big mod packages and haven't changed the graphics interface, you're at best running on the ragged edge of having memory problems. More likely, your game is crashing a lot and you're seeing all sorts of weird problems.

OpenGL uses a lot less memory, but it's slower and the graphics aren't as good. (It may also be a bit buggier than DX9 or DX11. Fix one class of bugs, add another set of bugs. Not 100% sure about this.)

DX11 also uses a lot less memory (although more than OpenGL, I think), but its speed and quality seem to be equivalent to DX9. DX11 is what I'm using as it seems to clearly be the best of the three options.

The command line arguments for these three options are:

-force-opengl

-force-d3d9 <-- Default option

-force-d3d11 <-- Best option

I also use -single-instance to prevent accidentally launching the game twice.

This might have nothing at all to do with your problem, but if you're running Windows, you might want to try this.

Hi, sorry for not mentioning:

I use following System:

-Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)

-Intel i7 with 1.80/2.40 GHz

- 8 GB - Ramm

- Installed over STEAM

A shot in the dark here:

-force-d3d11 <-- Best option

I tried this, but it wasn't a solution.

So I did some further testing.

1st step: Landing -> Traking station -> back to ship => no bug.

2nd step: activate drills -> Tracking station -> back to ship => no bug.

3rd step: beginn harvesting -> Tracking station -> back to ship => no bug.

4th step: harvest up to 2400 ore -> Tracking station -> back to ship => no bug.

5th step: aktivate IRSU -> Tracking station -> back to ship => no bug.

6th step: transform ore -> fill up to 43200 liquid fuel + 52800 oxidizer -> Tracking station -> back to ship => station loads shows up for a second and then the game black out and freezes.

7th step reload game: normaly the base sinks in the Mun, this time it "just explode" after loading the ship.

7th step reload game: normaly the base sinks in the Mun, this time it "just explode" after loading the ship.

That problem, at least, might have a solution. It seems that when ships load the physics gets turned on all at once, so if they're landed, they go from 0 gravity to full gravity instantly (in a single physics tick).

This seems to cause problems; I'm guessing it's parts colliding at high velocity with other parts as the ship compresses under the instant gravitational load, especially given the weak strength of stock joints.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement does a great job of fixing that problem by changing the loading so the gravity gets turned on slowly. I don't think I've had a "load-BOOM!" incident since installing that mod. Certainly they're very rare now.

That problem, at least, might have a solution. It seems that when ships load the physics gets turned on all at once, so if they're landed, they go from 0 gravity to full gravity instantly (in a single physics tick).

This seems to cause problems; I'm guessing it's parts colliding at high velocity with other parts as the ship compresses under the instant gravitational load, especially given the weak strength of stock joints.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement does a great job of fixing that problem by changing the loading so the gravity gets turned on slowly. I don't think I've had a "load-BOOM!" incident since installing that mod. Certainly they're very rare now.

Thanks for the hint, will try.

Did some additional test with a new miningstation.

Base consists of:

- big ore UKS-Container (65k of ore)

- UKS-Logistik hub

- 6 stock ore drills

- 2 yellow UKS-landingstruts

- some batterys

- some solarpanels

All is allright until the container reaches ~30k of ore (I changed craft @ ~15k, all was okay.).

@30k of ore the bug occoured again.

So this means the big UKS-Containers are especially vulnerable to that bug, someone else has problems with them @planets?

hm, hard to judge what's wrong. Things i suspected before the pic was either the yellow landing hex things bending a bit under increasing load or the kontainers have some other part lightly clipped in.

Only idea that comes to mind right now would be to alter the terrain settings, i had planes and stuff sinking into ground and upping the terrain settings fixed that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.