Mod that makes ground mission control possible for probes?

ebigunso

I remember someone talking about it before, but I totally forgot what that mod was.

I remember him saying something about controlling probes from mission control on the ground or something.

If anyone has an idea of what mod this is, please tell me what that is :)

Edited by ebigunso

You're probably referring to RemoteTech, which requires probes to have an unbroken communication relay back to Mission Control (whether it's KSC, or a mobile command center set up by the player) in order to control them. AntennaRange is a similar, more "lite" version, with the option to turn on "Connection required for probe control" as well.

Edit: monophonic probably has this one rightâ€â€I'd never heard of that mod. Pretty nifty.

Edited by Landwalker

You're probably referring to RemoteTech, which requires probes to have an unbroken communication relay back to Mission Control (whether it's KSC, or a mobile command center set up by the player) in order to control them. AntennaRange is a similar, more "lite" version, with the option to turn on "Connection required for probe control" as well.

These mods actually serve quite different purposes. I don't think it's really appropriate to say AR is a "lite" version of RT.

The purpose of RT is to make it very difficult to use probes at all. It works under the assumption that probes require direct control from somebody on the ground, so requires you to set up a communications network just to be able to control probes in space. It also factors in signal delay times as distance increases so you have to do some in-game programming to give probes commands in advance of when they'll actually do them. The bottom line is to jack up the price of using probes by making you build a large and complex communications network.

RT was originally created long before career mode came out so really isn't career-friendly, especially due to the cost of setting up networks. Because of this, in career games, it basically means you do the vast majority of your missions with crewed ships instead of probes. Another issue with RT is that communications naturally require antennae (and it comes with many antenna parts), but the oceanic nature of the atmospheres of other planets mean that you'll burn any exposed antennae right off if you try to aerocapture/brake. This means you pretty much need to avoid touching atmospheres with probes.

AR, OTOH, was invented specifically for career mode. Its primary function is to prevent transmitting science data unless you have a connection back to KSC, and the longer the range, the bigger the antenna you need. It has no signal delay and has nothing to do with controlling probes unless you activate that option. Because it only uses the 3 (now 4) stock antennae, you can talk pretty much everywhere with the 88-88. You can, however, set up networks if you want to.

Geschosskopf is largely correct, but it's worth remembering that Remote Tech can be configured, so signal delay can be removed and probe control can be enabled when a link isn't present. So it can work effectively like Antenna Range with different antenna parts. AR is still simpler for career mode though.

RT was originally created long before career mode came out so really isn't career-friendly, especially due to the cost of setting up networks. Because of this, in career games, it basically means you do the vast majority of your missions with crewed ships instead of probes.

A fair point, though I find that I still get good use out of it-- the need for communications is still there for unmanned rescuers, and for transmitting science back home (for the stuff that gets 100%, like EVA and crew reports).

RemoteTech goes together really nicely with life support mods such as TAC Life Support: RT makes unmanned harder, TAC makes manned harder (but in a different way). So I find that the two together add an interesting element of depth to the game-- there's a real choice to be made in manned-vs-unmanned, since they each come with their own challenges.

I think it still works. It's technically just a very well disguised IVA that relies on Raster Prop Monitor. IVA's, like parts, don't break often. RPM has been updated. Though you may want to turn off the new vibration camera effects, otherwise its going to seem like KSC is having an earthquake.

Hi,

A well disgused IVA and you have a Probe Control Room...does take some work to make I spose; it is on my todo list as well.

Also Probes seem too far down the career line I may move mine up in the TREE.

Cmdr Zeta

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.