Kepler-452b Kepler Announcement 23 July

eddiew

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2015-239&rn=news.xml&rst=4660#.Va5Eb-1Ep3A.twitter

NASA will host a news teleconference at 9 a.m. PDT (noon EDT) Thursday, July 23, to announce new discoveries made by its planet-hunting mission, the Kepler Space Telescope.

Hmm... so what is so exciting about this one that they've called in a press conference? Speculations? Hypetrain?

(No pix no clix?)

pia18904-16.jpg

Edited by Vanamonde
Clarifying subject.

It seems to me that the planets already known are already pretty good candidates for earth similarity, judging only by orbits, but they make it sound like this something much better... Is kepler capable of detecting atmosphere content or something like that? Otherwise I guess it's just another planet similar to earth in terms of size and habitable zone.

It seems to me that the planets already known are already pretty good candidates for earth similarity, judging only by orbits, but they make it sound like this something much better... Is kepler capable of detecting atmosphere content or something like that? Otherwise I guess it's just another planet similar to earth in terms of size and habitable zone.

Kepler can't detect atmospheres. It would be great to find an Earth 2.0. :)

We already know what they're announcing. And it's clearly news considering that it's a press conference, because they usually list the KOIs online.

"Nasa may have found the most Earth-like planet to date"

"May" doesn't sound like anything definitive to me. It's pure speculation to say that we know what they're announcing. You can make an educated guess, but that doesn't mean they can't be announcing something completely unrelated.

"May" doesn't sound like anything definitive to me.

...maybe because that's what the word "may" is for? Stating things which aren't 100% certain? :P

It's pure speculation to say that we know what they're announcing. You can make an educated guess, but that doesn't mean they can't be announcing something completely unrelated.

True. My bet is on an exoplanet annuncement too, as that is the most obvious thing, but we can't rule out something K2-related or further details on the Pluto observations scheduled for October or the status of the reaction wheels or something.

My guess is also along the lines of an exoplanet discovery. As we have already found many fairly Earth-like planets, I see two (non-exclusive) possibilities: The planet is A: Ridiculously similar to Earth (enough to stir excitement among the scientists); and/or B: Very, very close to home, so that future optical/ infra-red telescopes (like the James Webb) can perform more detailed analysis on it.

With luck, both will have occurred, though now that they got everyone excited for it, it will probably be something about the reaction wheels...:P

...maybe because that's what the word "may" is for? Stating things which aren't 100% certain? :P

I only pointed that out because _Augustus_ is linking that article with verbage that sounds like what he linked is 100% for certain what they will be having a press conference. "Know" =! "May" I realize that, but when he linked the article he says we "know(for certain, by definition)" what it is, even though the article only uses "may." I wanted to make the case that he's taking the speculative nature of the article as truth.

Naturally one would assume a press conference about a planet hunting satellite is about a new planet, but the way in which he quoted and linked the article suggests that you would be stupid to think otherwise, when there could be plenty of reasonable events that could have happened like you suggested.

Attending will be, among others:

-- Jeff Coughlin, Kepler research scientist at SETI Institute in Mountain View, California

colour me intrigued :-D

if the next press conference is held by Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, I will be very intrigued

[/sarcasm]

Edited by heng

Guys, National Geographic just said that today's announcement "will forever change the way we view the cosmos". I thought it was just going to be a new habitable exoplanet announcement? I mean, sure, great news, but there's already 30 of them, I don't think it should change our view of the cosmos? Is it something else, more serious??

Guys, National Geographic just said that today's announcement "will forever change the way we view the cosmos". I thought it was just going to be a new habitable exoplanet announcement? I mean, sure, great news, but there's already 30 of them, I don't think it should change our view of the cosmos? Is it something else, more serious??
None of them have signs of life or an ESI of 0.89 or above.

It's clearly signs of life, a really high ESI, a habitable planet around Alpha Centauri A/B/C, or a combination

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.