Plugin to TURN OFF stock heating system

ThorBeorn

I just wanted to make a request for a plugin to turn off the stock heating system. I've been playing with Deadly Reentry for a long time - it's not that I don't like the extra challenge, but I can't stand these random explosions of parts/batteries happening all the time. I want to play with mods including FAR and I want to use part clipping, therefore until RealHeat is finished a plugin like this is the best option imho. Thanks!

He wants to turn off part heating, not re-entry heating.

Like, when you clip parts and they spontaneously explode.

Or does that setting affect that as well?

Yes that's right. I'd prefer to have re-entry heating, but not at the cost of parts randomly exploding. Right now I've turned everything down in the debug menu. Seems to have helped so far, I'll see I guess.

Edit: I'm flying solar powered gliders at 40 m/s, they should not overheat :mad:

He wants to turn off part heating, not re-entry heating.

Like, when you clip parts and they spontaneously explode.

Or does that setting affect that as well?

Well he was talking about Deadly Reentry. I don't think that turns of part heat.

I mentioned I have played with DR to let you know I'm familiar with re-entry heating. Since 2013. What I don't like with the stock heating system is that it causes my stationary crafts to explode on the runway, from overheating.

Back to topic: So if anyone knows of a plugin like this or is willing to write one, I'd be greateful if you would let me know. Cheers!

This gets my vote too, the stock heating system is un-playably buggy. It's not that it doesn't do what I want it to, it's just plain broken.

I would like nothing more than a retro-DRE that implements re-entry heat itself, much like it did when there was no stock system at all.

Any way to necro that code?

OTOH, I realise that this is a pretty big ask. ;)

I mentioned I have played with DR to let you know I'm familiar with re-entry heating. Since 2013. What I don't like with the stock heating system is that it causes my stationary crafts to explode on the runway, from overheating.

Back to topic: So if anyone knows of a plugin like this or is willing to write one, I'd be greateful if you would let me know. Cheers!

Alt-F12 -> Physics -> Thermal

Lower conductivity factor until the exploding stops.

If you're using DRE with KSP 1.0.4, it already lowers conductivity to 3.3. If that's not enough go all the way to 1.

There are even toggles that let you turn off the different heating components, but convection still seems to happen even if you turn its toggle off.

Note that if you still want reentry heating then you're better off just lowering conduction until the problem stops. The latest version of DRE no longer implements heating, it only tweaks the existing system. (I don't even have the exploding problem with DRE installed even with craft that were specifically designed to trigger the problem

Alt-F12 -> Physics -> Thermal

Lower conductivity factor until the exploding stops.

If you're using DRE with KSP 1.0.4, it already lowers conductivity to 3.3. If that's not enough go all the way to 1.

There are even toggles that let you turn off the different heating components, but convection still seems to happen even if you turn its toggle off.

Note that if you still want reentry heating then you're better off just lowering conduction until the problem stops. The latest version of DRE no longer implements heating, it only tweaks the existing system. (I don't even have the exploding problem with DRE installed even with craft that were specifically designed to trigger the problem

Wait a sec Starwaster, are you saying that with DRE the stock heating bugs are more or less fixed?

Wait a sec Starwaster, are you saying that with DRE the stock heating bugs are more or less fixed?

Only because I lowered conduction. Which, ironically, I did to increase reentry deadliness. (very high conduction makes it hard for heat to build up on the outside of the ship because it immediately conducts it all away)

From a strictly thermal standpoint, the only thing this version of DRE is doing is tweaking config files and globals. (i.e. lowering max temps of parts so they behave more like aluminum and steel instead of tungsten or titanium)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.