unexpected loss of science, mission, crew, ships, career and games

When opening KSP and recalling a saved game, I received the message "You have incompatible saves in your folder." and was offered the choices of "Delete" or "Cancel".

Catastrophe.

Choosing "cancel" produced a blank window and a KSP lockup. No response to any key.

Tried again, and unwisely chose "Delete". It deleted EVERYTHING, not just the problem saves. It deleted the entire career and everything else I had saved, leaving me with a default saves folder (default, scenarios, training.) Didn't put it in the trash, either. I have a backup in Time Machine, but I lost two weeks worth of work (well, play...)

What happened?

Is there any recovery from this message, or is that the end of it? How can I avoid this destructive failure?

Mac OSX 10.7

KSP version 1.0.2.842

Kerbal Engineer, Alarm Clock, Precise node

Stage recovery (not used)

Trigger Tech (not used)

Moved to Support (modded installs).

And that really is an awful mess-up. Honestly I don't think there's much can be done about deleted saves if even the directories with the various quicksave.sfs files have gone. As I understand it, there are automatic save-backup mods around. Hopefully someone in the support subforum has a better answer for you though.

I had this once a couple of months ago hang up followed by CTD. When I inspected the persistent save file it was 0k's and blank nothing else there so you may have lost the data before the choice anyway.

I don't think you'll be able to recover the data through KSP

If you have a back-up system then try that.

I had to restart my career completely -- just leaving the Kerbin SOI now >:-|

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.