Why do I lose most of my science?

Hey there, I'm completely new to KSP and this forum so please forgive me if this thread is out of place.

I just flew a mission to Minmus and collected lots of science, opening goo containers and materials bays, and as I was doing that I got messages saying +20 science, +15 science, so i thought I would be collecting LOTS of science, but when I returned and recovered the vessel, I only gained 15 science for the recovery of a vessel that flew by Minmus. Where did all my science go? I did load from a quicksave a few times, would that have anything to do with it? The KSP version I have is 1.0.4.861 and I am running on Windows 8.1 64 bit. the only mods I have installed are the particle cloud effects and TextureReplacer. Thanks in advance :)

You returned the intact experiments, right? not just the pod? And you "kept" the data, not transmitting it or discarding it?

Silly questions perhaps, but I can't think of any other reasons right now...

Yeah sounds like you left the sci parts somewhere and only landed the pod. You either need to return the sci equipment or perform an EVA and right click each sci part and take the data back to the pod.

actually as at turns out I was in fact collecting all the science, it only listed the return of a vessel after I recovered the craft, but all the other science was added. Is there any way to see how much science you have accumulated whilst in a mission?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.