[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Updated testing release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.3.30-pre4

Several fixes, a few new mounts, and a complete overhaul of the engine cluster mount config system.  See the link for full change log and downloads.

Generic Straight Shroud style mounts (4 variants of different lengths; lengths not fully decided on yet, may change); these can have legs/etc attached to them, and have fairings as well; used for both upper and lower stage engines:

TiMRJGe.png

I have a feeling that it is time to start talking about the 1.1 transition / update period.

My current plans are to use a couple of branches in the SSTULabs repo and run concurrent branches for 1.05 and 1.1 until the 1.1 update is finished.  The 1.05 branch would not see any further -development-, and would only exist for bug-fixes and archival purposes.  I aim to allow the 1.05 branch to become stable at this point... so it might be possible to start including craft files for those still on 1.05.  This is mostly because I expect the update to take at least a month (two weeks of pre-release, and likely a few weeks after that as there is a -ton- of stuff I need to do during this update... including full balancing passes), and would like the mod to be usable for at least some KSP versions during this time.

So, as soon as the pre-release is available, development will be frozen on the 1.05 branch and it will see bugfixes for major issues only; the majority of my development time will be devoted to the update.

I have a new bug to report:

I created a Shuttle in SPH using the FSX. The bay contain the new docking port plus a MUS-ST. Saved it. It load perfectly in SPH, however when I load it in VAB, RCS are active and it spam NullReferenceExeption and another message about the number of part sheilded= 1.

I did another test, saved a FSX with just a default MUS-ST in bay in SPH and loaded it in VAB. Same result but with just one message: NullReferenceExeption, Object reference is not set to instance object.

Note that I get the same result when I go from VAB to SPH. And it does not do this with a stock fuel tank.

Hope it helped.

1 minute ago, RedParadize said:

I have a new bug to report:

I created a Shuttle in SPH using the FSX. The bay contain the new docking port plus a MUS-ST. Saved it. It load perfectly in SPH, however when I load it in VAB, RCS are active and it spam NullReferenceExeption and another message about the number of part sheilded= 1.

I did another test, saved a FSX with just a default MUS-ST in bay in SPH and loaded it in VAB. Same result but with just one message: NullReferenceExeption, Object reference is not set to instance object.

Note that I get the same result when I go from VAB to SPH. And it does not do this with a stock fuel tank.

Hope it helped.

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/issues/275

15 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

You think its the same issue ?

3 minutes ago, blowfish said:

I thought so at first, but maybe not?  Could you open your log and give the full stack trace of the exception?

Sounds like it is the same MUS-related null-refs (already fixed in dev; doing last minute testing before package/upload/posting the fix).

Edit:  Must be the same issue, as I'm not seeing it when I follow your posted steps above.  So... let me know if it persists with the upcoming updated release.

Edited by Shadowmage

Updated testing release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.3.30-pre5

Fixes MUS related null-refs when reloading parts in the editor, more misc fixes and enhancements, tons of texture-set config related cleanup, and adds a few more texture options for decouplers and fairings.

Obligatory release screenshot; Green decoupler and fairing textures, and fixed spec mask for green MFT-D tanks and adapters (was super shiny before, still need to match it to the main tanks better):

c5NSgH3.png

17 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

I will test this.

BTW, Blowfish, Where do I get these Logs again? The only logs I know about are crash logs...

If you're on Windows, it's KSP_Data/output_log.txt.  KSP writes to it continuously.

Doing a bit of actual playing tonight (well... testing balance/usability mostly).

Massive single-launch two-stage Duna (nearly anywhere) lander using SC-A-CMX as ascent stage; does not include fuel for return-to-kerbin, or re-entry heat-shielding.
1. 9x H-1
2. 3x J-2
3. 2x RD-0110 -
4. 1x RD-0110 (descent stage)
5. 4x LMAE (ascent stage)

znRPFlj.png

Up-close of the lander details; yes, those MP tanks are the ascent fuel tanks :) -- and it is using an RD-0110 as the descent engine (could probably have a much smaller descent stage with parachutes being used).  Note the heat-shield does not yet have its fairing module/interaction added... so there is a gap in the rocket :(

cbSvblH.png

And the SC-C-Short, with 2n'd stage (RD-0110 in testing), capable of mun orbit:

B2VdZg9.png

Having an issue with the SC - C - SM - Service Modue and action groups. The action group to jettison the side panels isn't working for me. I am using the action group extended mod, but i cant see this being an issue.

Can anyone else confirm this problem?

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

So many struts! Must have been a bit of a bleep to unwrap!

Yah, Russians love their struts on their engines :)

Struts weren't bad, only 4 faces per;  the turbopump though...ughh..  managed to get a workable unwrap in the end, but semi/organic shapes that you want to paint straight lines on are... painful.

Actually laid-out fairly nice in the end; very little wasted space beyond the margins (512x; 16px margin; many faces are a single pixel...) (-lots- of duplication/mirroring; only about 1/4 of the faces are uniquely mapped)

ZKgpF8N.png

Shaping up to be a very useful engine in-game though, at least during my brief testing last night.  Almost need a lower-stage/lifter equivalen t(~120kn, decent isp)...

Hoping to get it textured throughout this week and it will be available with the next update, whenever that ends up being (might just have placeholder/grey texture though).  Already in-game and working, though the effects need a bit more attention.

Edit:

First-pass texturing; mostly adding normal map details to all of the pipe joints and a bit of background coloring... nothing spectacular yet, but making good progress.  Still lots more work to do:

VgDQ5hJ.png

Edited by Shadowmage

At the moment, just general testing for whatever doesn't work properly.  Make sure that all custom parameters persist between editor and flight, that there are no problems on revert to VAB or revert to launch, and that existing craft load as they are supposed to.

Working through general bug-fixing and cleanup while waiting for the 1.1 pre-release... so now is a great time for bug-reporting if you find any :)

I forgot to report this last night, but on "main" fuel tanks (name escapes me right now) if you option-click to duplicate, they have z-fighting issues (I think) that mess up the textures (say to grab a 1st stage and build a craft that looks like Delta IV Heavy by option clicking the booster, then sticking it to the side in 2X symmetry.)

1 minute ago, tater said:

I forgot to report this last night, but on "main" fuel tanks (name escapes me right now) if you option-click to duplicate, they have z-fighting issues (I think) that mess up the textures (say to grab a 1st stage and build a craft that looks like Delta IV Heavy by option clicking the booster, then sticking it to the side in 2X symmetry.)

I've experienced issues with duplication as well - specifically with regards to rescaling the duplicated part.  My best guess is that both this and the z-fighting have the same cause - somehow, a duplicate mesh is created.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.