WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

@VentZer0: My bad, it's just that I put a lot of effort on finding a setup that allow any strategy to work, a lighter craft is always on disvantage on a heads-on, and a heavier craft is on disvantage if they go parlalel or alternate on an X shape.

If you only wish to change the AI settings I let you do that.

Please pm me with the fixed craft file, but please don't make changes to it other than the AI.

And remember your next enemies will not be the same.

Edit: this second chance for the crafts works both as a way to avoid a "trial and error" flood of submissions and to soften the luck factor.

Sometimes you lost for a specialized craft that is stronger against you but weaker agains everyone else.

Edit2: The next battle is today, if it takes less than 20 minutes and does not lose the audio I will upload it raw.

Will do. Thanks my default alt of 3250 just was from my testing where everyplane fought at the same altitude, now I changed it and tested it under your conditions and it works much better.

Apart from the AI computer settings I just changed the wingcolor settings, doesn't affect anything else than looks ^^

@worir4: looks good for a first plane!

How is roll stability? You have a lot of dihedral I am curious about how it handles.

@TUKE: yeah that is a known stock bug that shows up more on FAR, stuff explodes.

@worir4: looks good for a first plane!

How is roll stability? You have a lot of dihedral I am curious about how it handles.

@TUKE: yeah that is a known stock bug that shows up more on FAR, stuff explodes.

Thanks, it's the most stable version I have made in FAR and I acutally had to try to make it go out of control where as before it did if I tried to pitch too hard. I think the trick was limiting the deflection on the elevators. (Thanks for your guides in your sig)

Well, Delilah has deployed flaps, that completely screws up the craft flight, it cannot even go on a straight line.

I will assume that this was an accident, and will recover them before the match starts.

But I will not do this again, disable your flaps or you will get screwed over and it's going to be your fault.

Edit: Uploading!

I may even have time for a second battle today!

And the next battle is... not decided yet.

I am processing the entries now to make sure it's all properly set up.

Edit2: I will experiment with KerbPaint and may add it on the future.

Meanwhile, if you want to already use it on your craft:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50008

Patch:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50008-0-23-KerbPaint-Paint-layering-for-parts-(September-23rd)-(Same-Old-Still-Works!)/page52?p=1920604#post1920604

Edit3: Crafts send through PM were already processed!

Scanning forum thread now.

Check if you did not receive a PM in case your craft was illegal.

After I am finished I will post a list with all submissions so that you can check if something is missing.

Edited by tetryds

Well, Delilah has deployed flaps, that completely screws up the craft flight, it cannot even go on a straight line.

I will assume that this was an accident, and will recover them before the match starts.

But I will not do this again, disable your flaps or you will get screwed over and it's going to be your fault.

Edit: Uploading!

I may even have time for a second battle today!

And the next battle is... not decided yet.

I am processing the entries now to make sure it's all properly set up.

Edit2: I will experiment with KerbPaint and may add it on the future.

Meanwhile, if you want to already use it on your craft:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50008

Patch:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50008-0-23-KerbPaint-Paint-layering-for-parts-(September-23rd)-(Same-Old-Still-Works!)/page52?p=1920604#post1920604

Edit3: Crafts send through PM were already processed!

Scanning forum thread now.

Check if you did not receive a PM in case your craft was illegal.

After I am finished I will post a list with all submissions so that you can check if something is missing.

Thanks for this :D Just to be clear if we receive a PM then it is illegal, if not we are good, right?

Pity about the Sanka's AI settings. In the few tests I ran against the Delilah it usually did very poorly in head-on engagements. But was quite nasty if it managed to survive the initial merge and managed to get behind you.

Yeah it was a good fight.

Here is some progress on the weapons pack.

It will take a while to be released, it's going to wait at least for the next BDArmory update.

I will make sure that they replace the current weapons without affecting it's performance.

8KKanf5.png

In the two BAD-T videos I've watched, one plane has been hampered by its struggle to attain a high minimum altitude while the other shot it to pieces.

In the stock jet version, low min altitude is pretty much the way to go - get off the ground, turn and shoot ASAP. With the much lower thrust in this format, I'd say that's even more the case.

Thank you very much for doing that. I noticed that the AI wasn't using them, so I just put them semi-deployed so it could maneuver a little better. A couple times when I was testing, the flaps were glitched, but I wrote it off as a fluke. Should I give you another download with the flaps fixed? Do the rules allow me to make a few adjustments to the plane?

Now about the battle, my pilots apparently like to fight dirty. Both my competitor and I have beautiful planes, and I'd really like to see how they handle on equal terms.

Edited by nigelxw

@tetryds

Do I need to wait till my last plane is completely eliminated before I can submit another one?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much for doing that. I noticed that the AI wasn't using them, so I just put them semi-deployed so it could maneuver a little better. A couple times when I was testing, the flaps were glitched, but I wrote it off as a fluke. Should I give you another download with the flaps fixed? Do the rules allow me to make a few adjustments to the plane?

Now about the battle, my pilots apparently like to fight dirty. Both my competitor and I have beautiful planes, and I'd really like to see how they handle on equal terms.

I ran the battle afew time with different starting parameters nigelxw. Your plane whooped mine every time. :)

That was like watching baby seals being clubbed to death ... ouch. In the first fight is like two orcas playing with a seal and after a while they go in for the kill ... gruesome.

Never seen a seal kamikaze into an orca before....

- - - Updated - - -

Well anyways I've learned from my mistakes. Don't make too much plane for the engines you have.

Here's a preview of what I've done. It's 2.2 tons lighter and ~twice as agile as my previous efforts.

63YTcVs.png

Never seen a seal kamikaze into an orca before....

- - - Updated - - -

Well anyways I've learned from my mistakes. Don't make too much plane for the engines you have.

Here's a preview of what I've done. It's 2.2 tons lighter and ~twice as agile as my previous efforts.

http://i.imgur.com/63YTcVs.png

Well it got munched by the orca and swalloed whole. Mid-air-collision should give a negative score for both or something, since it's happening so often with the AI and it's an extreme pilot error from both.

I hope your new design is more stable, you can see your plane getting almost out of control a couple times in the video. Yaw instability and large sideslipping.

That instability is mainly due to three things I've noticed. Lack of power (TWR), having control surfaces responding to both pitch and roll, and having no control surfaces set for purely AoA tracking.

I've fixed all three with the new design.

Btw VentZer0, the VZ-38 is one ....... of a plane to fight. Super durable and a great high attitude vertical fighter.

Edited by Kunighit

It will take a while to be released, it's going to wait at least for the next BDArmory update.

I will make sure that they replace the current weapons without affecting it's performance.

http://i.imgur.com/8KKanf5.png

Who is responsible for those models?

That instability is mainly due to three things I've noticed. Lack of power (TWR), having control surfaces responding to both pitch and roll, and having no control surfaces set for purely AoA tracking.

I've fixed all three with the new design.

Btw VentZer0, the VZ-38 is one ....... of a plane to fight. Super durable and a great high attitude vertical fighter.

Makes sense why it did those weird wobbly maneuvers, your plane will be much harder to defeat now because you will be on target a lot more often ^^

Hehe. :D It's a HEAVY interceptor ^^

It also doesn't bleed much speed in a turn fight, pull 5G's and still maintain speed while turning.

http://i.imgur.com/8KKanf5.png

Well, who ever they are they are obviously good at it, and while i was planning on doing a pack of my own, i'll just shelve that idea and let the people who know what their doing do it instead.

Where is the list of planes?

As far as I know, there is none, although it would probably be good to maintain, as would a formal tournament bracket.

Anyway, I have been working on my own entry to this tournament; work on the as-of-yet nameless prototype has been progressing well:

c2wjINZ.png

So far, the aircraft is 46 parts, 3.6 tons, and (obviously) a piston monoplane. I also seem to have disproven those who in the Top Gun AI thread asserted that control surface spam was impossible in FAR; in reality, it seems to work quite well, as this is my first aircraft in the latter mod, but yet it flies rather nicely...That is, at least for me; the AI is highly neurotic and always manages to stall it out (thus the prototype status), probably because I am far into "too much maneuverability" land--I have pulled 20+ g turns with it after a few short taps with fine control active.

Likewise, much optimization remains to be done apart from teaching the AI to fly it properly; I can probably cut about 20% more weight from the airframe, if not more, and fine-tuning the actions of its myriad control surfaces should hopefully reduce stall incidence almost to zero. Additionally, combat "simulation" versus other entries is probably warranted, as I am uncertain as to the efficacy of its current armament (3 BerezinUBS .50 caliber machine guns, one in each propeller nacelle and one in the nose) against other craft. With luck, it shall be combat-ready by tomorrow night.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Three1415