WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

Guys, I don't want to worry you, or anything... Just be prepared:

http://i.imgur.com/NwgeFGo.png

http://i.imgur.com/Gz1RI98.png

Those are 2x Aerosports @100% thrust at less than 100 meters above the sea level. No diving involved. I give you IAS and Surface speeds because I'm not sure which one is more important.

Note I'm still waiting for the guns to be released and put on the thing. The top speed might change when I do so.

Is this a good result?

Yes that is a good result, as long as you conserve that energy while turning.

But we are probably going to use AJE on the next version.

And you remind me to give some info about what is going on.

I finished moving and settling is taking a bit of time, unity stutters on my desktop for no apparent reason even if I run it at 130fps.

I will wait for the update that will make use of the many cores it has, but for now running on the laptop is better.

The plan is to finish the whole Round 2 and losers bracket this week, reminding that the losers bracket round one will be one single video with all the battles, because it shouldn't be too interesting.

I may have got a slightly better cooling solution which would allow me to use scatterer or EVE, but I still need to test that.

The weapons pack is progressing nicely, the weapons are ready now its just make them fire and tweak everything, which is not that fast, but I will be able to release the dev mod thread when the guns are firing.

Meanwhile VintageXP is working on some bombs.

Yes that is a good result, as long as you conserve that energy while turning.

But we are probably going to use AJE on the next version.

And you remind me to give some info about what is going on.

I finished moving and settling is taking a bit of time, unity stutters on my desktop for no apparent reason even if I run it at 130fps.

I will wait for the update that will make use of the many cores it has, but for now running on the laptop is better.

The plan is to finish the whole Round 2 and losers bracket this week, reminding that the losers bracket round one will be one single video with all the battles, because it shouldn't be too interesting.

I may have got a slightly better cooling solution which would allow me to use scatterer or EVE, but I still need to test that.

The weapons pack is progressing nicely, the weapons are ready now its just make them fire and tweak everything, which is not that fast, but I will be able to release the dev mod thread when the guns are firing.

Meanwhile VintageXP is working on some bombs.

Yeah, I was worried something was wrong either with my design or the engines because of how well it conserves energy and how ridiculous the top speed and TWR is. (MID POST SNEAK EDIT: Steady 50 degrees climb at 500 km/h doesn't seem like a normal behaviour for a WW2 plane[/endsneakedit]) Or maybe I'm just really efficient at building speedy stuff in FAR. Will install AJE tomorrow and see how it performs with that.

I thought you could use that one camera mod by BahamutoD to enhance the battles a bit. Not sure how to use it since I never did, but it sure makes Cupcake's videos amazing. It's this one, I think: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94171

EDIT: It's probably too much work though.

Edited by Veeltch

It's interesting, I certainly put top speed combined with high energy conservation near the bottom of my list of desirable combinations when designing an aircraft for this contest. Other people seem to quite like it though.

@Veeltch: The camera mod is amazing, the only problem is that it's not as good for a dynamic environment.

It can be used to track the target, but gives a bit of motion sickness, and requires editing.

I will try it again and see if I can work with it easily, I will suggest changes to the mod for every difficulty I find, to help enhancing it.

Each strategy requires a specific design, my plane was made to go as fast as possible and conserve energy, I just didn't fix the nose to give less drag, it was a test plane not meant to battle :P

I just gave it a paintjob and AI settings.

So I tested the plane with AJE 2.4 and it seems it makes the Aerosports (or rather P&W PT6 Turboprop) really pathetic. Was barely able to climb and my top speed was just over 520km/h at the sea level.

That's not the worst part though. It turns other engines into either post-war ones and/or scales them up to have realistic radius, so it's not possible to use them with stock fuel tanks anymore.

Trying to figure out a 2 engine combo with 1700hp each like on the P-38. Seems like the Rolls-Royce turboprop is the only one I can use without the need of procedural tanks. That really sucks :/

EDIT: Actually after flying for a while with Aerosports and AJE the handling doesn't seem that bad. I guess I could get used to it. Still would rather have 1700hp instead of 680hp per engine tho.

EDIT2: The Rolls-Royce is OP even at 9% thrust for some reason.

Edited by Veeltch

Using procedural tanks instead of stock gives you an advantage, so you should stick with that anyway. Is there a new version of AJE? Otherwise we could test my own P&W R2800, which is a supercharged version with a realistic velocity & altitude profile.

I could make other versions as well.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/879/77%20Industries%20R-2800%20Supercharged%20Radial%20Engine

Using procedural tanks instead of stock gives you an advantage, so you should stick with that anyway. Is there a new version of AJE? Otherwise we could test my own P&W R2800, which is a supercharged version with a realistic velocity & altitude profile.

I could make other versions as well.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/879/77%20Industries%20R-2800%20Supercharged%20Radial%20Engine

Nah. I already have a working thing that is very good with stock parts and B9 p-wings. All I need is a 1.25m engine that would have enough power. Heck, even 1000hp would probably be enough if I had two of them.

@Azimech: they give a weight advantage but the stock parts are more resistent

@Veeltch: remember that not all KAX AJE props will be allowed, and that using KAX with AJE is not set to stone, they are not very flexible, I will try other AJE pros on the future.

@Azimech: they give a weight advantage but the stock parts are more resistent

@Veeltch: remember that not all KAX AJE props will be allowed, and that using KAX with AJE is not set to stone, they are not very flexible, I will try other AJE pros on the future.

Cool. Just wanted to give some feedback on how AJE and KAX work together.

I can't let this thread keep dropping down the page. :P

I've been working on a biplane and although I know, having pitted it against some of the completely unrealistic spaceships-with-two-wings posted in this thread, that it can't compete with anything in the competition, I have to say I've slightly fallen in love with it and I think it'll win the 'Awwwwwwwwwwww' Award easily.

cll98Hc.png

37t89dZ.png

o115Osp.png

l8wY36d.png

I think the biplane category need some more restrictions - some of the aircraft in this thread would clearly not have been remotely viable in reality and, frankly, by going against the spirit of the competition it's incredibly easy to make a biplane that has a ridiculous TwR and supermanoeuvrability, which rather ruins the challenge for the people who wanted to build something a little more feasible.

Littlerift ,

Can you link to some of the planes you think are unreasonable?

I won't link any as that would be unfair - and it's not my place to decide what is fair and what isn't, but any of the aircraft that have ultra-thin wings, infeasibly strong structures (a single piece connecting two heavy parts), prop planes with flying wings or all-moving tails, etc.

I just personally prefer the idea of a proper WW1/WW2/Korean War challenge, rather than stuff that simply couldn't work in real life.

Back to running battles :)

As bad news, my desktop and ksp hate each other, for some mysterious reason I lag even on small crafts.

The weird part is that sometimes I get something insane like 130fps and then the game stutters like there is no tomorrow.

It has 8 cores, so it's expected to not run super well on KSP, but the game is just unplayable on it, I will stick to playing every other game on the highest possible settings on it for now.

And my internet is not that awesome anymore, I am going to cut the recording down to 30fps, and do it raw as the shadowplay encoder is so great.

Depending on how long it takes to upload them I could bring the resolution down to 720p, but I hope that reducing the framerate is enough.

The idea is to be able to upload two videos in a day whenever I have time.

I will stick to 1080p if I am only going for a single battle though.

And will go after getting a better internet on the future.

Edited by tetryds

I am double posting just so that someone who read the previous post doesn't miss this one.

As good news, the video is now super small, 400MB for 5 minutes, I can totally handle that.

New battle(s) incoming!

Also as good news, this round is much nicer to watch than the previous one :3

New battle is out!

Edited by tetryds

Any, do they fire rounds or just look pretty?

They don't fire yet, I will look into that tomorrow, why?

It will take a while to balance all of them, and that kind of stuff.

There are a few that were added after this pic was taken, and others in development, by the way.

Woah, that's lot of guns. Also a bomb. Should I start buidling a bomber for the next tournament? It might be cool to have a bomber vs fighters scenario where the bomber has to destroy a ground target and the fighters try to stop it.

Also that Spike plane is a real beast it seems. Too bad I found out about the tournament too late to participate in, because I built something that would sure counter it :L

Edited by Veeltch

They don't fire yet, I will look into that tomorrow, why?

It will take a while to balance all of them, and that kind of stuff.

There are a few that were added after this pic was taken, and others in development, by the way.

So in a way I'm sorta ahead of you, my guns fire, although there's only really three, and one is getting a model rework, and my textures are substandard, and I'm doing it all myself, and I'm learning it all as i go ;)

P.S. Turrets are a pain in the #&@!!!