WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

After some testing, I found out that these guns are very underpowered, at least when shooting an airplane made out of procedural parts.

I mean, any WW2 fighter should go down with 5 landed 20mm shots in a row...

I will buff and fix them tomorrow.

Also, bad news for gunman, BDArmory really dislikes having two weapon managers on the same craft, unfortunately.

So, that is not going to happen for now, but I will poke him about it.

This dogfight thing is just too fun.

^ It could be a balancing factor for the accuracy of the aim-able turret, if you choose it that's all you can have, just one and the extra Kerbal, put it on the front if you think you'll be chasing others around and on the back if you think they'll be chasing you.

Edited by Darren9

Here's my updated pack, 0.4

It includes:

Berezin 12.7mm (UBS)

ShKAS 7.62mm

ShVAK 20mm cannon

Browning M2 .50 cal

Mauser MG 151/20 20 mm cannon

ShKAS 7.62mm turret

Some examples of airborne mayhem:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Please delete any previous versions.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xql0pfbopqgjkun/77I_WW2Weapons0_4.zip?dl=0

Edit: tetryds, I've beefed the guns some more.

Edited by Azimech

Well i can mod the M230 into the 7.7mm or 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine gun. As i want an Italian MG for my Cant (when it stops exploding). However i was thinking of reducing accuracy and damage because of the difficulty the AI has with aiming planes with fixed guns.

Indeed ... that's why I increased accuracy with fixed guns and reduced this with turrets.

What I dislike is the fact I can't seem to find the switch to keep the AI from firing guns beyond 700m distance.

I can come up with a huge list of improvements for the AI, this has a priority IMHO.

Edit ... I kept damage the same for the ShKAS wing gun and turret, just changed accuracy between them.

Edited by Azimech

I've had mine try to spray and pray from 5+km away. Thats why i use a crazy overheat. So it doesn't waste all it's ammo while out of range.

- - - Updated - - -

Also at present i'm modifying my Hispanio to try and make it sound, proper.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing i did was to reduce damage of even the Hispanio so it wasn't, who can shoot who first, or who can spray bullets from 5km away, so a hostile needs to be on your tail for a reasonable amount of time before you die.

I'd like to see your stats ... ammo weight, fire rate, muzzle velocity, shell explosive power and radius.

It would be nice if we can come up with a formula to calculate impact damage (on a fixed distance), for the weapons points system. That said, I unfortunately am not the person to calculate these things. I can visualize physics to a certain extent but not calculate them (yet).

Well how do you put a .cfg in the post?

- - - Updated - - -

Hispanio

PART

{

// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config

//

//

// --- general parameters ---

name = Hispanio_Suiza_.404

module = Part

author = BahamutoD+TUKE

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

rescaleFactor = 0.5

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = -0.72, 0, 0.0, -1, 0, 0, 1

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = precisionEngineering

entryCost = 2100

cost = 3500

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = 20mm Hispanio-Suiza .404

manufacturer = TUKE R&D

description = A radially mounted Hispanio-Suiza .404 cannon.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.5

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 45

maxTemp = 3600

stagingIcon = SOLID_BOOSTER

MODULE

{

name = BahaTurret

fireSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/Hispanio Suiza .404/sounds/shot

overheatSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/50CalTurret/sounds/turretOverheat

deployAnimName = deploy

hasFireAnimation = false

fireAnimName = fireAnim

spinDownAnimation = false

yawTransformName = aimRotate

pitchTransformName = aimPitch

roundsPerMinute = 750

accuracy = 8

bulletMass = 1.3e-4

bulletVelocity = 880

ammoName = 20x102Ammo

requestResourceAmount = 1

maxTargetingRange = 1100

bulletDrop = true

projectileColor = 255, 247, 0, 255

cannonShellPower = 15

cannonShellRadius = 0.75

minPitch = 0

maxPitch = 0

yawRange = 0

onlyFireInRange = false

maxHeat = 1000

heatPerShot = 80

heatLoss = 250

tracerStartWidth = 0.3

tracerEndWidth = 0.06

maxEffectiveDistance = 2100

}

PART

{

// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config

//

//

// --- general parameters ---

name = bahaHiddenVulcan

module = Part

author = BahamutoD

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

rescaleFactor = 1.0

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = 0.0, -0.01, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = precisionEngineering

entryCost = 2100

cost = 950

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = .303 MG

manufacturer = Bahamuto Dynamics

description = A .303 calibre machine gun.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.3

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 60

maxTemp = 3600

stagingIcon = SOLID_BOOSTER

MODULE

MODULE

{

name = BahaTurret

fireKey = mouse 0

fireSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/hiddenVulcan/sounds/shot

overheatSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/50CalTurret/sounds/turretOverheat

deployAnimName = deploy

hasFireAnimation = false

yawTransformName = aimRotate

pitchTransformName = aimPitch

roundsPerMinute = 1150

accuracy = 2.75

bulletMass = 0.45e-4

bulletVelocity = 1000

ammoName = 20x102Ammo

requestResourceAmount = 1

maxTargetingRange = 500

bulletDrop = true

projectileColor = 255, 90, 0, 160 //RGBA 0-255

startColor = 255, 105, 0, 80

shellScale = 0.463

minPitch = -0

maxPitch = 0

yawRange = -0

onlyFireInRange = false

instakill = false

maxHeat = 1000

heatPerShot = 40

heatLoss = 175

tracerStartWidth = 0.55

tracerEndWidth = 0.20

fadeColor = true

maxEffectiveDistance = 1500

}

}

Ok, I've finally finished my monoplane: the Stinger!

mntcIsL.png

It has 4 Browning machine guns and 4 ammo boxes, and is small, fast, and maneuverable.

Work continues on a biplane. The engine seems to cause a lot of torque, which is leading to problems.

Ok, I've finally finished my monoplane: the Stinger!

http://i.imgur.com/mntcIsL.png

It has 4 Browning machine guns and 4 ammo boxes, and is small, fast, and maneuverable.

Work continues on a biplane. The engine seems to cause a lot of torque, which is leading to problems.

Because of where i am i cannot see the pic, so who's weapons have you got?

- - - Updated - - -

Also is anyone else having a problem where sustained firing will mute things like engine noise?

I used Azimech's. My biplane flies now, after I changed the landing gear. (I had to use the retractable ones, because the fixed ones were clipping into the runway on physics load and flipping the plane.)

L4HZCJK.png

Edit: I can fly the biplane, but the AI can't. It keeps sending Jebediah nosediving into the ground (and this is on multiple steering settings).

Edited by QuesoExplosivo

Azimech, i think i might know how to get the weapons manager to fire two different guns at once(i.e cannons and mg's) I'll post testing results.

- - - Updated - - -

Success!!!!!!

Hey guys, it's amazing to see that everybody is excited with this tournament, soon we will have a weaponspack done and there will be only a few things left to finish it up :D

We don't need a lot of guns, after TUKE posts his pack I will put both together and give them a balance pass.

I will also add the gunman's turret and the rocket pod, then I will set up the points for the weapons, set up the battle layout and a few more things and we are good to go.

I am thinking about publicly releasing this pack when it's done, with credits and everything, if you don't mind.

Just have no idea how to call it or if any of you want to do it instead.

GG on the weapons manager I will try it as soon as possible!

Remember that we need a license for the pack, which has to be the same as BDArmory's

Ah, and I found a good way to stop head-to-head engagements, just takeoff paralel to each other.

Edited by tetryds

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/233392-ww2-air-weapons-for-bda

Although hold up for a day or two, i want to get a .303+Hispanio combo set up. Also the Curse page is pretty empty (needs some love) but my weapons should be pretty well balanced as i tried to get some historical weight values for rounds. Anyway i have to go to work, be back in probably 5-6 hours. Cheers.

Okay, it's fine if you want to post your pack separatedly, because I will have to balance the weapons towards gameplay for the challenge, most of them are too weak right now.

So I guess that with both packs there will be enough weapons for the challenge, if there are redundancies I will have to remove them.

I hope that everybody got their planes ready, we will have an experimental round this weekend!

Edited by tetryds

Okay, it's fine if you want to post your pack separatedly, because I will have to balance the weapons towards gameplay for the challenge, most of them are too weak right now.

So I guess that with both packs there will be enough weapons for the challenge, if there are redundancies I will have to remove them.

I hope that everybody got their planes ready, we will have an experimental round this weekend!

Depends, if you take a few stray rounds it won't annihilate you, but you don't want to get caught, meaning that entries can have an evasive quality. Also kinder against the tail parts and engines. Also how many did you test? As most planes would probably use upwards of at least 2 guns. Did you like my solution for getting two guns to fire at the same time by the weapons manager?

- - - Updated - - -

Also Azimech did you gain a heap of rep while i was gone?

Depends, if you take a few stray rounds it won't annihilate you, but you don't want to get caught, meaning that entries can have an evasive quality. Also kinder against the tail parts and engines. Also how many did you test? As most planes would probably use upwards of at least 2 guns. Did you like my solution for getting two guns to fire at the same time by the weapons manager?

- - - Updated - - -

Also Azimech did you gain a heap of rep while i was gone?

I tested the older Azimech pack with two guns, and several 20mm hits in a row using two cannons did no damage at all to my other plane.

I also fixed overheating and some other stuff and will apply the changes to the newest pack.

I am also working, will be able to try it later, but that indeed sounds cool!

Can you try to build something using kerbal konstructs?

Two pairs of runways close to each other and diverging about 45 degrees would be a good place to start.

If BaseBoss assigns them easily it would make combats a lot more convenient to run.