Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Sorry for not posting this thing with my XMF-1B, but It's been getting late while i posted it and just didn't have enough time to post the .craft on KerbalX. Nonetheless, here it is. My 5th gen fighter demonstrator based off ADFX-01 airframe from Ace Combat Zero. It is very maneuverable and remarkably stable when compared to the XMF. It will probably be my weapon of choice in the upcoming 2nd tournament. I just wish i could add in the TLS weapon on the back. I'll have to discuss this matter with event organisers i guess. Anyway, this prototype version is free to download and evaluate as a demonstrator.

ADFX-01 Morgan [PROTOTYPE] specifications

Length: 15.1m

Width: 10.8m

Height: 3.8m w/gear deployed / 3.1m w/gear retracted

Type: Air Superiority/Multirole

Mass: 10.1 tonnes (dry) / 14.5 tonnes (full fuel load)

Fuel units: 800

Powerplant: 2x J-X4 Whiplash Turbo Ramjet Engines

Max speed: 350m/s ASL / 800m/s at 5500m

Armament: None (In combat version planned to include 20mm Vulcans, AIM-9 missiles and "Zoisite" laser system.)

Takeoff speed: ~40m/s

Have fun flying anyone who decides to try this craft. Will post the armed version after the next event is announced.

.craft file:

http://kerbalx.com/EvenFlow/ADFX-01.craft

Is this your next entry? Otherwise, take it somewhere else. This thread is for entries and tourney discussion.

By the way, the laser isn't allowed in this tourney

- - - Updated - - -

As inventor of the format, my original clipping criteria was that structural parts were fine (for looks and aerodynamics mostly), but not fuel tanks into other fuel tanks, as fuel can only be so dense, requiring one or both to be partially empty. I also avoided clipping control surfaces because that looks bad (though wouldn't legislate against it, because there are limits given the parts we have) and never even occurred to me to clip engines (unless its a tiny bit, certainly never overlapping their outputs, because real jets don't do that).

Ammo, guns (as they're fixed) and landing gear make sense to clip, because real planes don't have those bolted to the skin of the fuselage either.

This contest was created to find the best performing designs (originally my own) which still looked authentic, not to design ghastly, unrealistic winning machines.

Yes, people's ideas about what's acceptable will vary, so consensus is key. Alas, noses will occasionally end up out of joint.

Btw, please confirm you got my entry?

I'll add that to the OP.

Edited by RocketTurtle

*Waves fist in the air* I'll get you next time, EvenFlow! :P

Aw, was hoping I got the 2-A in on time... harder to compete without that extra engine. The 1-A vs the XMF is basically Urkel vs Tyson :P At least the 2-A can make him sweat a little.

Also disappointed my planes failed to fire even a single shot in three rounds :\ Even in the "draw" round... not a single shot...

I know I'm gonna sounds like a complainer (I promise I'm not!) but errr are you sure you turned guard mode on for my planes in that battle? I know they're outmatched, but as near as I can work out, they completely ignored the enemies. Didn't even try to line up any shots... just maintained altitude and flew in a circle... not even a missile fired. I ran the same tests (same planes, same take-off set up, same AI) and my Falcons at least made an effort :S

If it's just bad, it's just bad I suppose... but to not even attempt to engage the enemy? That's a little odd.

Edited by Slam_Jones

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.