More Jet engines?

since basic jet is an air-brething crap now, and turbojet uses way many fuel (also the afterburner looks stupid on some planes), what about more jet engines? like a turbofan for cargo planes, or heavy stuff and an engine with advanced thrust vectoring? maybe even scramjets, so what do you think? :wink:

sorry for my english ;-;

I'd support the 2,5m "turbofan", having a massive bypass ratio for slow cargo haulers.

It wouldn't be a lot of use on high altitudes (>20km) or at mach numbers over .9, but it would have a fair amount of thrust at ground level.

Also, what I'd *really* like to see is a jet engine that is just a compressed gas generator and you can place nozzles or exhaust somewhere else, with "magic duct" carrying the exhaust.

Those exhausts could be opened and closed according to action groups. Which would be a great addition for VTOL hovering.

Such an engine would have an enormous amount of power on the ground, but it would fall off rapidly at speed or altitude depending on your intake/exhaust configuration.

What we want: 2m Basic Jet Engine, 2mRAPIER, 2mTurbojet/ramjet, Normal big-s canards, and structural wings, normal big-s delta wings, and sharp wings. I would also like my previously suggested scramjet&rocket-like RAPIER. You can check out my mod of them, and the craft I balanced them for. Also, some propellers would be nice. They could be linked to Basic jets, ant from further on, the basic jet will no longer produce thrust, but it will make the propeller spin. Custom Turboprops!! Also, a lot less efficient (but free) electric motor, that could consume electricity, and power a propeller.

Edited by CaptainTurbomuffin

I'd like to equip the turbojet with afterburner. But no doubt, electric engines would be fun and a good target for science point spend for at the advanced state of the game...

Lots of good ideas. I think what I'd like as a "minimum":

2.5m diameter airliner turbofan. With matching intake unless it's a one-piece engine+intake.

Electric propeller. Not too fussed about the details, any electric prop would be a great addition to the stock game especially now we can't do ion gliders any more.

Jet RCS nozzles, using liquid fuel and intake air. Basically this would emulate the bleed air jets used on VTOLs like the Harrier.

Jet RCS nozzles, using liquid fuel and intake air. Basically this would emulate the bleed air jets used on VTOLs like the Harrier.

I'm already working on that as a mod. Either through a simple ModuleManager plugin that makes the stock engines produce additional bleed air (and have the RCS blocks consume them when appropriate), or a complete "Advanced Turbine Pack" which has separate gas generator and nozzle parts you can put wherever you want.

The spool time on the default jet engines is just too slow to be of any use for VTOL, through something like Throttle Controlled Avionics.

Edited by Stoney3K

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.