Single Stage Around Kerbin Atmospheric (SSAKA) Plane

0,15 KSP stock, no compatibility with demo version.

Hello, here is anther plane named 'Albatros', but heh, its at least looks like Albatros, so i did not changed name. Sorry m8 with vintage 3-plane (its actually cool).

As post name says, that plane can fly around Kerbin in atmosphere (no suborbit, or other ballistics involved) and consist from one stage (no any solid boosters at liftoff, etc) . And yes - it is a plane, not some balloon, :). Only 0,15 stock parts are used.

Basic principles:

1) Better is enemy of good enough (folklore wisdom).

2) Going slower - going further (another one piece of wisdom).

3) As much fuel as possible, as much lift power as possible, and just enough thrust (Kerbin principle for long range planes).

3albatrossnizu1.jpg

Here is some pics from flight, that was started as first test flight, and turns in around Kerbin travel in process.

Just after lift off:

(Its actually do this without any remarks, easy and steady)

1vzletalbatrosa1.jpg

Wievs:

From ground:

2albatrossverhu1.jpg

From above:

3albatrossnizu1.jpg

Maximum speed test with half burned fuel:

4speedtestalbatros1.jpg

Somewhere in a middle of travel:

5albatrosinthemiddle1.jpg

Closing KSC (to overestimate fuel flow, and have no much time to burn it out):

6closingksp1.jpg

Runaway:

7runaway1.jpg

That is my third attempt to build SSAKA plane, First was a total disaster (only 1900 km and incredibly hard to control. second was already able to do this, but with to many glides, - that drastically slows done whole flight.)

It was made as proof of concept, and therefore was build in a hurry. Close look at wings surfaces can scare any seasoned rocket builder.

But simplicity of concept and big size of construction, withstand that flaws.

Flight plan.

As test flight, my time for was not so good due to unnecessary testing maneuvers and well, it was my first time flying that plane.

It took about 6 hours and 24 minutes of game time. That time could be lessened to a 5 hours at least. That abot 3800 km on always 90 degreas course. That direction drastically reduces flight path, virtually adding speed at your actual speed, due to Kerbin rotation.

So i will just try to give some recommendations.

Full thrust at liftoff, drop 2 thrust clicks after gear retracting.

Go to 10 - 11 km height band (actually lesser, when full, but try to aim that numbers), Maintain height and lower your thrust as fuel burns out, keeping your eyes on AOA, try to keep it under 20 degrees and not less than 15 (not less than 10 when half of fuel burns out). That should work.

If you afraid that you will burn out of fuel, keep in mind, that i had around 1/3 of last 3 fuel tanks, when ended travel. Also, on full thrust 1 tank of fuel burns out in 20 minutes if used by one Turbo Jet Engine. So, its about 1 hour 20 minutes on 1/4 of thrust, Last 6 tanks burns out really slow, because they provide enough power for optimal flight speed on 1/4 of thrust. And last thing to keep in mind - You can always glide with power off, if needed. From 11 km to 1 km height Albatros glides about 2 hours With at least 400 km glide path (its painfully slow to relay on this, but, hey,- on 90 deagres course - just glide and let the Kerbin rotate beneath you :) ).

Next things in mind -

Around Kerbin travel through the poles and

SSAKA all the way full throttle plane. Not sure that is even possible, but ...

Sorry for my bad english.

PS: Not sure about all this things about 90 degrease course and rotating Kerbin. Actually atmosphere rotates too. So its actually another flight in west direction needed, or vote of more qualified person.

Here is a plane:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.