I'm Back from Marmaris, Turkey

worir4

You may have noticed i hav'nt been on for the past week and that is because i went on holiday to Turkey. It was awesome and i got to see some nice scenery

My hotel was surrounded by mountains. (I'll post some pics later on). I also got to go on a plane again which never gets old :D

I went to see some historical sites also like the snow like place of Pamukkale which was really weird but awesome at the same time.

I wanted to go to Ephesus but it was too far to go with my little bro so i suppose that is for if i go back to Turkey again.

Any ways i just posted this to say i am back. :D

Here are some pictures. I will add some later when i upload them.

http://imgur.com/gallery/QHG79/new

Edited by worir4

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I got this cool laser pointer. I am not sure how powerful it is in relation to others because it's the first one I have got. It says less than 100 mW. It's really good for pointing at stars. Don't worry though, I would never point it at an aircraft.

Here where I live, just pointing a laser skyward, even just at stars, you would end up in trouble. It's been a big issue here lately.

If that was the case, astronomers would get in trouble all the time, both professional and amateur ones, or educators. Pointing lasers in the sky is not illegal in any country in the world.

Pointing it at an aircraft flying, that is illegal if the power output is above a certain level. Pointing a 5 mW pointer (which is barely visible even if it's green and the night is dark) at something flying 11 km in the sky is not illegal. It's not even visible as it disperses way before.

If that was the case, astronomers would get in trouble all the time, both professional and amateur ones, or educators. Pointing lasers in the sky is not illegal in any country in the world.

Pointing it at an aircraft flying, that is illegal if the power output is above a certain level. Pointing a 5 mW pointer (which is barely visible even if it's green and the night is dark) at something flying 11 km in the sky is not illegal. It's not even visible as it disperses way before.

Really. It's only been all over the news here, Feds running after folks for even just shining their pen lasers upward. Go check the news... it is the case.

Really. It's only been all over the news here, Feds running after folks for even just shining their pen lasers upward. Go check the news... it is the case.

Well they are breaking the law, then. I can't comment on your corrupt officers, only the law, and I know it is not illegal to point lasers in the sky.

Ferret, do you live in or around a city? I live out in the country and I've never seen anything in the paper about somebody getting booked for pointing a laser at the sky.

Ferret, do you live in or around a city? I live out in the country and I've never seen anything in the paper about somebody getting booked for pointing a laser at the sky.

I live out in the country, somewhat, it's called the Pine Barrens. I'm not too far from Lakehurst NAB... they tolerate very little; You don't question much when you see big black SUV's with Govt plates cruising your neighborhood investigating things. They do such for less around here; I made the mistake once of stopping on the highway to take a picture of the static Blue Angel which sits out at the entrance on display ... I had armed MPs show up out of nowhere to ask what I was doing, check my credentials, and then advise me to "Move along. No picture taking allowed." ..... and I live here no less, even have done volunteer work at the base. This isn't a game.

Guess you don't follow the news much, as of late it's been a serious issue.....

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/16/us/lasers-flights-new-jersey/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/pilots-hit-lasers-jersey-york/story?id=32615847

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/nyregion/12-aircraft-targeted-by-laser-beams-above-new-jersey.html

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/07/16/new-jersey-planes-hit-by-laser/

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/07/11-airplanes-hit-by-lasers-over-new-jersey.html

By all means, come here and try it, see how you fare. Should make for good entertainment. If the local police nab you, you might make the news. If MPs nab you, I doubt highly we'll hear about it. This I can tell you, they're actively seeking those who do such.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and they way things are going these days, if people keep this stuff up, it won't be long before there is a law/regulation about sale/ownership of lasers and pointing them skyward.

And I forgot, there's also news of this out in California. Similar incidents.

- - - Updated - - -

...and back on topic...

worir4, great pictures! Thanks for sharing! :cool:

Also I saw a load of these 'evil eye' amulet things. They were really common in gift shops. I also bought a fez:cool:

On the subject of lasers, I have also seen reports of people getting arrested for pointing lasers at aircraft. Apparently you can get 5 years in prison for it in the UK.

Also I saw a load of these 'evil eye' amulet things. They were really common in gift shops. I also bought a fez:cool:

On the subject of lasers, I have also seen reports of people getting arrested for pointing lasers at aircraft. Apparently you can get 5 years in prison for it in the UK.

That first picture... is that Ephesus?

Edit: Bah... never mind, I see you stated it wasn't. :confused:

Edited by LordFerret

That first picture... is that Ephesus?

Edit: Bah... never mind, I see you stated it wasn't. :confused:

Ya, I didn't get to go unfortunately. It is a picture of the remains of a structure that Mark Antony made for Cleopatra at Pamukkale. I have more pictures but I keep forgetting to upload them and right now I am on my phone. I will try tomorrow.:D

That's beautiful. I need a seashore, now...

When I read "yellow post box", I thought of something resembling the French ones. : )

Pretty different, actually. I imagine all post boxes in Turkey don't look like the one on your picture.

That's the only one i saw. It might just be because it was in a tourist area.

Edit: I just did a quick google image search and i found that there are some just like the one in my picture but also some that look a lot like the red British ones except they are yellow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.