Emissive Tutorial. Not rocket Science As it seems.

You should watch C7s tutorial first and make sure everything normal works fine before adding emissives. I thought there would be one out by now. But alas there is not. So here you all go :D

1. Select your material for your part

2. Find KSP

3. Select Emissive. pick one of the options. They are self explanatory, Specular gives emissive with specular and such.

1.png

1. Put your diffuse in the top box.

2. put your emissive in the Emissive Slot.

3. Emissive textures should be black where they should be uneffected, white where fully effected. The whiter the more it will glow. Note the nozzle section of the emissive map is white where as the rest is black. the small tubes and details are faint grey. This will make the nozzle the most effected/the brightest.

2.png

1. Select your Game object

2. Go to Window>Animation

3. Note the animation window with your part name in it.

3.png

1. Click the arrow to drop down the list of other items.

2. note The parts parented to the main part are now visible.

4.png

1.Click the little arrow thing I have circled

2. Click Create New Clip

3. Name the animation and remember the name.

5.png

1. find the material name under the part and expand it.

2. set the time to 0 by typing 0 into the box the 2 is on

3. notice the 3 emissive color values. Select them so you don\'t mistake them for another component.

6.png

1. For the three colors click the little DASH to the right of the name

2. Hit add Key. You can use curves but they are a little whacky. You can always click the dash (which will have become a diamond) and delete curve if you make a mistake.

2b. Do this for all three.

7.png

1. Change the time to 60 seconds. This is an adequate amount of time to give enough control of the animation with out too many frames. You can type the value or drag the bare where the red arrow is.

2. At the 60 frame mark add Keys to each of the three emissive colors again.

8.png

1. Notice I am playing with obj_gimbals\'s material\'s values at the 60 frame mark and the model shows this happening. You can manually type the values in OR

2. Drag the keis up and down in the curve window.

3. If you cannot see the tops of the keys you can hit the play button and then go back to the same time and it will adjust the focus of the curve window to fit better.

4. notice only the part I am adding keys for changes. you need to add keys to all parts you want effected. This allows for different colors on different parts and materials and such.

5. now all you need to do is make the animation as you would like to see it and export your part to .mu

6. Please note that this is based off engine heat. about half way through the animation is all you will see if you never get an overheat warning on your engine. after you get an over heat warning it will begin to play the rest of the animation. Keep this in mind.

7. You can add as many keys between the two as you want to adjust what you see in game. I like to have it slowly heat then at the half way point really make it glow how to signify overheating. i do this by adding more keys and making it sort of make a tilted ~ shape in the curve window.

9.png

1. add 'ThermalAnim = <the name of your animation you named in picture 5> ' and then you should beable to see it in game,

9a.png

Moderates pPLEASE do not remove the images. High Quality is essential for the modder to see exactly what to click and do as Unity has small text. As for smart Phones. I doubt there people are modelling on smart phones.

• 1 month later...

If I wanted to create a point source of light (always on), would using emissives be the correct way to go about this? More specifically, are the lights used by the EVA suit emissive, or are they done in another way? I\'m working on a landing beacon part so it\'s easier to find a specific landing spot on dark sides of the moon/kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.