Omnidirectional wheels expansion

Hi, I am new in these forums and I had a idea in mind since time: "omnidirectional wheels".

My idea is add these three types of wheel (and variants by company or size, of course):

- Omni wheel.

- Mecanum wheel.

- Hemispheric omnidirectional gimbeled wheel (or simply hemispheric wheel).

- Normal wheel capable to spin 360º (thanks to Armchair Rocket Scientist).

More detail:

>> Omni wheel:

This type of wheel is a multi-wheel that contains small wheels aligned 90º over the extreme of multi-wheel.

omni_backside.png

How it works?

Small wheels allow that the multi-wheels are capable to crawl without generating friction, is simple and very useful, with this you can make functional omnidirectional vehicles with octagonal, triangular, etc shapes.

Robot with this type of wheel in action: <font size="3">

Control:

W: move to front.

S: move behind.

A: spin to left.

D: spin to right.

Q: spin vehicle clockwise.

E: spin vehicle counterclockwise.

>> Mecanum wheel:

This type of wheel is a multi-wheel that contains small wheels aligned 45º over the extreme of multi-wheel, and aligned 45º over de radius of multi-wheel.

mecanum-wheel.jpg

How it works?

Small wheels deviate the multi-wheels when these multi-wheels spin each in different direction, this causes a lateral or spin movement of vehicle, much more useful.

Vehicle with this type of wheel in action: <font size="3">

Control:

A: spin to left.

D: spin to right.

F?: move to left.

B?: move to right.

>> Hemispheric gimbeled omnidirectional wheel:

This type of wheel is a half sphere with a vertical axis, this half sphere is connected with a system of rotation.

hqdefault.jpg

How it works?

The half sphere spin in vertical, when is inclined by the mechanism, the direction movement of vehicle changes, the reason is a long geometry and physic explanation.

Robot with this type of wheel in action: <font size="3">

Control:

A: move to left.

D: move to right.

>> 360 capable to spin wheel (thanks to Armchair Rocket Scientist):

This type of wheel is a normal wheel with mechanism capable to spin the wheel.

Vehicle with this in action: <font size="3"><font size="4"><font size="3">

Control:

A: spin wheel clockwise.

D: spin wheel counterclockwise.

Edited by Angeltxilon
To add more information

Could you control this with WASD?

In the case of omni and mecanum wheels, yes, these only would need action groups to coordinate the wheels, but the controls of each wheel individually would be the same.

Oh, and the mecanum wheels would have a diagonal move instead the typical move.

For omnidirectional hemispherical gimbaled wheel also, but in this case the wheel would not move as normal wheel, ie, when you press "a" or "d" this wheel would move to sideways easily instead spin to sideways.

First one is quite interesting thing, that would be great in KSP and also seems pretty feasible. Second and third would be hard to control on keyboard using less than 6 keys to unleash it's huge potential. One more thing to master in KSP besides planning, calculating, building, launching, docking, orbital things and landing.

Could be interesting, although the only application I can see is if you're docking a rover to a lander, base, or another rover.

One thing to consider is that both omni and mecanum wheels can just roll sideways without any traction. Good luck trying to drive a vehicle sideways up a slope. I'm not sure the hemispherical gimballed wheels work offroad at all.

A better idea might be wheels that can swivel 360 degrees, as seen here:

It is a good idea, would have more traction, I see only one disadvantage:

360 spinning wheels consuming time to change of direction; unlike omni, mecanum and hemispheric that are capable to change direction instantaneously.

Anyway, it's a interesting idea and maybe I will add this in the post with other idea that I just found, ball transfer unit.

Could be interesting, although the only application I can see is if you're docking a rover to a lander, base, or another rover.

One thing to consider is that both omni and mecanum wheels can just roll sideways without any traction. Good luck trying to drive a vehicle sideways up a slope. I'm not sure the hemispherical gimballed wheels work offroad at all.

I believe that some actual Mars rover can do that. Tanks have it, rovers have it.. KSP need it too!

The rolling would only happen if the wheel motors had no passive friction, but I guess the KSP wheel motors don't. That means the wheels could have 2 modes, one with no passive friction for cruising, and one with friction for maneuvering.

Omni wheels, yes. Mechanum wheels, no. I know firsthand that they will maintain grip in every direction, (if you set them up in the proper X formation, that is. :P Darn our robotics build team, putting them on completely the wrong way.) to the extent that they can. (Not as well as traction type wheels.)

• 7 months later...
On 4/3/2016 at 1:08 AM, Angeltxilon said:

What about spherical wheels?

The main thing I wonder about these is what their advantage over mechanically much simpler wheels with 360-degree gimbal range is. They can strafe sideways at all speeds, but so can 360-degree wheels, which have the added benefit of being capable of using a wired connection to the car's "avionics" (or whatever they call it in cars). At some point, these are way more technically challenging than a steerable castor, but not any more advantageous. I've made Lego robots that use trackball-type wheels for control, and designing a control scheme for them is tough. Their only real advantage is that their desire to twist due to a forward center of pressure is not a serious issue. The other problem I see is weight. A ball probably can't be designed lighter than a wheel. Also, assuming the wheel underneath needs some sort of maintenance at least sometimes, you need to take the tire completely off (somehow) in order to even SEE the darned thing.

Edited by Pds314

Those wouldn't work on most planet surfaces because they need a considerable amount of friction and a flat surface. Planet surfaces are commonly dusty or icy (not to much friction) and not very flat.

Greetings

Ben

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.