Kakar R1 Off Road Test Vehicle

I thought I would put this up as the chassis can be copied and used for other things.. The Kakar is quite competent in it's own right but what I would actually use it for is a mystery. I needed a break from hinges and since I had been testing rover suspension components recently I decided to build a rover. Lots of nebulous goals, 70's muscle car replica, Elcano challenger, new suspension for The Dunation rover. What I ended up with looks a bit like a Paris to Dakar rally car so that's what it is.

I was testing RevanaCortanas and Azimechs suspension and decided to combine the two. Revana's was great for smaller lighter rovers and Azimechs helped larger machines. Together they make this 5t rally car quite easy to drive. When things go wrong they are easy to recover from. I would not say it is the best suspension ever in KSP (:confused:) but t's pretty good.

So besides the suspension what else has it got?

4 wheel drive, two wheel steering.

Brake Lights, Bright Front lights

Good ground clearance will handle up to 2x time acceleration (3x if you are prepared to suffer cosmetic damage), 4x is a no no

Integrated Roll Cage

Front and Rear Protection Bars

top speed 21.5m/s (adding ion engines makes hardly any difference, do not do)

Top Speed turning without rolling unless you have just completed some fast plane changes and are trying to then reverse direction of turn. Even then cease steering input and it will return to level.

4 RTG's just in case you too decide to do the Elcano challenge, easily removable in case you too decide not to do the Elcano challenge (Hint go North to the ice, turn right follow ice coast till you hit the next continent, head South/West? sorta until back at KSC.

Download

malMTrR.png

Really nice offroad vehicle I added some thrusters ended up crashing it and it kept going while many parts were destroyed :) (still rollin')

bO12Wyd.png

But why are there thrusters with the wheels without any fuel?

And there are many batteries in it but they are not needed because your charger are powerful enough to charge the car while everything is in use.

The spider engines are part of the suspension, not meant to be used, they surface mount to each other and help absorb the weirdness that happens to wheels when you do hard turns and provide a batter damping rate. The stock wheels are well known for being 'flippy', with these types of suspension systems the rovers are much better behaved. The batteries are part seat recreation and part preparation for the Elcano Challenge that I then decided was just too long/hard to accomplish.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.