Solar System add-on that has a kerbin like planet for end-game colonization?

MarcAlain

Laythe maybe?

No.

"Although Laythe has liquid water on its surface, its polar regions have temperatures below zero degrees Celsius. The lack of polar ice caps means that Laythe's oceans must contain another compound, most likely ionic, such as salt. Surface samples indicate that much salt is present on Laythe's surface. Unlike that of Kerbin, the air cannot be breathed by Kerbals (according to EVA reports). It is therefore possible that there are also high concentrations of salt in the air, as well as on the surface, assuming that the salt is sodium chloride. The apparent toxicity of Laythe's atmosphere, despite being similar in composition to Kerbin's, may also be a reference to the film Avatar - the moon Pandora is very similar to Earth, but its atmosphere is too toxic for humans to inhale, and the moon also orbits a gas giant, like Laythe. Laythe may also be a reference to the planet Damogran from the radio/tv/book/movie series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as they are not entirely unlike one another."

I know there are some Kopernicus planet packs which add an entirely new star system, but not sure if any of them actually add a new star system (or more than one) ingame rather than just replace the Kerbol system with a different one.

Whether any of those or similar planet packs have a planet where Kerbals can remove their helmets safely, I have absolutely no idea.

I know there are some Kopernicus planet packs which add an entirely new star system, but not sure if any of them actually add a new star system (or more than one) ingame rather than just replace the Kerbol system with a different one.

Whether any of those or similar planet packs have a planet where Kerbals can remove their helmets safely, I have absolutely no idea.

I'm not seeing any that do, there's one with some oxygen in lower canyons, however, that's all I'm seeing.

Making a binary Kerbol system doesn't really work very well. A barycenter is possible but causes bugs if you actually re-parent Kerbol. The solution is to turn the real Kerbol into a barycenter/black hole and move the stock system to a duplicate.

However, several mods for 1.0 add new star systems in some form.

KerbalGalaxy adds a galaxy of stars to visit, using the workaround I described above. It includes a Kerbin twin, Aphrodite.

Other Worlds adds a star near Kerbol but is not currently compatible with Kerbal Galaxy without editing the configs.

And Astrofox's weird nonsense planet pack with no real name adds some new stars that with config editing can work with Kerbal Galaxy, though they are in pre-alpha and use names from real star systems or stuff from sci-fi franchises.

And there are 2 mods that re-arrange the solar system, New Horizons & Alternis Kerbol.

Edited by _Augustus_

It seems many of these mods break saves - as in anything in orbit won't be because they relocate the Kerbol system. Any tips or suggestions? I really don't want to have to start over with my save. I've setup an entire network for building things in orbit and it's taken forever!

I think the simplest option would be to find a planet mod with a plausible planet and then make the config tweaks you like for a more Kerbin-like experience.

Adding or removing planets changes the "Flight Globals", which is liable to move ships around when loading an old save. Check the Kopernicus log to find out the new numbers, then edit the "REF" lines in the ORBIT section for each vessel in your savefile. Takes a little fiddling but it works OK. Make sure your save is backed up!

EDIT: One idea, install Outer Planets Mod, then grab the moon Tidus out of New Horizons and write a custom config to put it in orbit around Neidon. Though it may stretch your belief a little bit for it to be habitable with such weak sunlight.

Edited by cantab

I think the simplest option would be to find a planet mod with a plausible planet and then make the config tweaks you like for a more Kerbin-like experience.

Adding or removing planets changes the "Flight Globals", which is liable to move ships around when loading an old save. Check the Kopernicus log to find out the new numbers, then edit the "REF" lines in the ORBIT section for each vessel in your savefile. Takes a little fiddling but it works OK. Make sure your save is backed up!

Man oh man, how bad would this break bases? My stations aren't that much of an issue, but my mining setup on Minmus is pretty massive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.