Zero Zero UFO

Red Shirt

Nope not the usual - look what I saw at the north pole - thread. Today as I was about to stage, the screen flashed as the heat effects kicked in. That's normal. Staged, then noticed a glowing white sphere following me to orbit. It followed all the way to Mun. I thought it was either a glitch from the heatshield or the surface lights. I added both just before launch to a craft I had been testing. Anyway, it was quite exciting for Jeb. On the return trip I ran low on fuel. Dipped the Pe down to 35k and came in at 3km/s. Had to roll the ship a few times to lose some heat. No problem. I think I have this heat thing conquered. However, the UFO shot out of my ship several times once the chutes deployed. Is it possible beings from another world stowed away on my craft to steal my fuel and that's why I ran low? Some ancient alien theorists say yes!

Much like real-life UFOs, Kerbal UFOs are able to evade any camera that tries to zoom in on them. They also produce blurring effects, rendering even the most high-quality camera to produce video quality equivalent to a early 2000's camera phone.

Futhermore, they also cast an aura of forgetfulness, washing away any thought to photograph them (for proof of existence) in the first place.

All these factors combined mean they can operate out in the open, and never fear detection. A brilliant strategy, really.

I did hit F1. I have proof! It's just that my data plan cap has been exceeded and I'm currently restricted to dial up speed. Sad to be me. For future reference - do I have to create an account on Imgur to post pictures? I'm so last century.

Wow! That's new to me. I suppose it doesn't appear in the KSP tracking radar, right?

The world will never know. The guys in the black helicopters took all my evidence. Only the single picture survives. No, it was not swamp gas or Eve.

Funny... I encounter these on every flight, but I have almost no pics of them.

Here's one captured during a shuttle launch:

Kourageous4_zpsx1m8kd2j.jpg

I think they are lighting effects from my own ship that are confused about where they're supposed to be. They will often appear ahead of me and smack into my ship. No damage, but they cause minor turbulence.

Sometimes they shoot out in front of me like I'm launching a missile, and other times they'll just follow me.

If you look closely, you can usually see one trapped in the runway directly under your plane when it spawns.

Best,

-Slashy

I did have a second picture.

LWVqtuo.jpg

I could zoom in and out on it and rotate the camera around it. Not sure why it didn't occur to me to screen capture the up close full circle view. It was circular with 4 tabs around the edge.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they are lighting effects from my own ship that are confused about where they're supposed to be.

Do you use the surface lights mod? This was my first flight using them. Haven't tried duplicating it yet.

A couple pics of a "wake angel" trapped in the runway:

Angel1_zpsnkpts7yr.jpg

Angel2_zpsyn7wmsbg.jpg

I want to believe,

-Slashy

- - - Updated - - -

Do you use the surface lights mod? This was my first flight using them. Haven't tried duplicating it yet.

Red Shirt,

Negatory. I run 100% stock.

Best,

-Slashy

Vaporo,

Those are what I'm talking about! I'm 100% stock, but I still have them hanging around during launch.

*edit* Turns out it was just some light from Venus that bounced off some swamp gas.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Vaporo,

Those are what I'm talking about! I'm 100% stock, but I still have them hanging around during launch.

*edit* Turns out it was just some light from Venus that bounced off some swamp gas.

Best,

-Slashy

Really? I could have sworn it was DOE doing it. I never see them without it installed. Maybe it just makes them more common.

Vaporo,

Turns out it was just some light from Venus that bounced off some swamp gas.

Oh man, they got to you.

I do use DOE but never saw this before. Since you are all stock that doesn't explain it anyway. Also heatshields seem to be out because you are seeing them with space planes. It's a mystery. Some one call the Scooby gang.

RedShirt,

I had always assumed that everybody saw these from time to time. I know they've been reported before.

Maybe it's got something to do with how particles are rendered? I'm running a pair of crossfired Radeon 6800s. Most often I get disembodied light sources and puffballs. They're always along my flight path, but not attached to me.

Best,

-Slashy

*edit* LitaAlto,

Mine look way different from that. Mine look like what Vaporo shows.

Edited by GoSlash27

A couple pics of a "wake angel" trapped in the runway:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/KSP/Wake%20Angels/Angel1_zpsnkpts7yr.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/GoSlash27/KSP/Wake%20Angels/Angel2_zpsyn7wmsbg.jpg

I want to believe,

-Slashy

- - - Updated - - -

Red Shirt,

Negatory. I run 100% stock.

Best,

-Slashy

I think those light things are caused by BD armoury. Kind of related to this, does any one else get the engine exhaust that comes from above your ship on take off?

I think those light things are caused by BD armoury. Kind of related to this, does any one else get the engine exhaust that comes from above your ship on take off?

Little puffs of smoke in front of your ship? Yep. I think it's because Krakensbane is moving the origin of the scene around while you launch, causing some particle effects to move with it instead of staying where they're supposed to be.

These things are really hard to capture in pics. By the time I screen-cap them, they're already gone.

Here's a "puffball":

WA1_zps1ycucevz.jpg

And here's the same patch of sky a couple seconds later after it had passed to show it's not normally there:

WA2_zpsosqjgsgl.jpg

Best,

-Slashy

- - - Updated - - -

Little puffs of smoke in front of your ship? Yep. I think it's because Krakensbane is moving the origin of the scene around while you launch, causing some particle effects to move with it instead of staying where they're supposed to be.

Actually, I think this is the cause of all of the effects that I see, both light and smoke. They always generate along my flight path, either ahead or behind.

I don't have BD Armory.

Best,

-Slashy

Are the puffballs different than the ones that seem to be elevation markers? I get them between 6-7k. In the older versions I used this to mark when to begin my turn. I get them again a couple times, like maybe at 12 and 20k. I assumed they were possibly Squad staging markers. When using planes I sometimes notice them when leveling off at certain elevations. I just assumed these were intentional observation markers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.