Favorite Songs?

Starwhip

Who says Classical Pieces can't be epic?

Beethoven, Symphony 9, Op.125

^^The best 1 hour I've ever spent in my life.

Edward Elgar, Pomp and Circumstance March no. 1

You hear this commonly during graduations. Isn't it glorious and nostalgic?

Ear-food thread, yay, thanks !

I needed a rule. "Favorite songs" is too vast and I didn't know where to start. So I thought I could look for pieces where the singing is predominant, or for songs whose vocals I dearly love (there are many songs that I can enjoy while paying little or no attention to the vocals or lyrics).

Also, nothing recent. Only songs that have accompanied me for years.

Starting with the ladies :

- Nico.

â¤.

"Nibelungen", a track appearing on the 1991 reissue of her second LP The Marble Index (1968) :

Can't pick out a single song. Another cherished one :

- Laurie Anderson.

Laurie Anderson's quiet, half-sung, half-spoken "Big Science" is a track I have enjoyed listening to for more than 25 years. From the LP Big Science (1982) :

- Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane.

Her phrasing and vocal stresses are unique. No, my favourite track is not "White Rabbit", it's "Two Heads" (also written by Slick), from Jefferson Airplane's third album After Bathing at Baxter's (1967) :

(Kerbal approved.)

- Jane Birkin.

Heart-melter. Spine-tingler. I'm in love with her voice. Turns me into soft, sticky caramel.

Amazing when combined with Serge Gainsbourg's talent.

The Chopinerotic "Jane B.", from the LP Jane Birkin - Serge Gainsbourg (1969) :

- Diamanda Galás.

Composer, vocalist, pianist, organist and performance artist.

I couldn't find a link to the separate track, but you can jump to 9'30'' to listen to "Ε ΞελÃÅ’Ã… Mε [Deliver Me.]", from The Divine Punishment (1986) :

- Brigitte Fontaine.

Will only speak to those who understand French, but her lyrics on Brigitte Fontaine est... Folle ! (1968) are great fun. And she has such a cool voice :

(mm? a resemblance to "Chelsea Girls" ? naaaaa. How about comparing its melody to Lou Reed's 1973
?) Edited by Plume & Akakak

Out of all the ones I like, this one seems to come out ever so slightly better to me:

I honestly don't know why I like this so much, it just seems like the various elements in the track... "resonate" with who I am.

But hey It's all a matter of opinion in the end [noparse]:P[/noparse]

Going on with pieces where the singing is predominant or with songs whose vocals I love...

...and now with men's voices :

- John Frusciante.

I'm a John Frusciante devotee. I admire the open-mindedness of his work, and I do love his voice and trademark falsetto. Listening to his music is like taking my daily dose of sonic, fresh orange juice.

Two songs from his early solo records, among the many that make me instantaneously yell out their lyrics whenever I hear them :

"I Go Through These Walls", from the self-released LP From the Sounds Inside (2001) :

- Alan Sparhawk of Low.

I couldn't find a link to a studio version of "Pretty People", from their LP Drums and Guns (2007), but here it is, - opening the 2008 documentary Low : You May Need a Murderer directed by David Kleijwegt -, performed a cappella in the woods. Learn the lyrics and go try it yourself, feels good.

- Alan Vega.

The psychobilly version of "Ghost Rider" on his Collision Drive LP (1981) :

- Michael Gira (of Swans).

An exception with something a little more recent. The Seer (2012) is a ferocious and beautiful record that has been unanimously praised. Swans are much more of a collective effort, and their albums cohesive wholes, but I'm pretty sure I'll be singing along with Michael Gira on "Mother of the World" for many years to come :

(obsessive vocals in the second part of the song starting around 6'15'')

-Syd Barrett.

He just sits there, squatting my playlists.

A lovely "If it's in you", from the Madcap Laughs LP (1970) :

- Edward K. Spell (of The Legendary Pink Dots).

A touching voice.

(from 5'40'' to 8'25'').

Cheers

Edited by Plume & Akakak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.