Long March 6 maiden flight-20th Sep

xenomorph555

Between 5-7th of September of this year China will kickstart the 3rd generation of Long March rockets with the LM-6.

This will also be China's first fully cryogenic SLV running on kerolox.

The LM-6 is a small 3 stage kerolox rocket capable of carrying a 1 tonne payload to LEO or SSO.

Launch info:

Launch site: Taiyuan

Payload: 15-20 cubesats

Time: Likely the 19th

Confirmed Payloads:

ZDPS-2A Zheda Pixing-2A

ZDPS-2B Zheda Pixing 2B

TT-3 Tiantuo-3

XW-2 Xiwang-2A (CAS-3A)

XW-2 Xiwang-2B (CAS-3B)

XW-2 Xiwang-2C (CAS-3C)

XW-2 Xiwang-2D (CAS-3D)

XW-2 Xiwang-2E (CAS-3E)

XW-2 Xiwang-2F (CAS-3F)

DCBB (CAS-3G)

LilacSat-2 (CAS-3H)

NUDT-Phone-Sat (CAS-3i)

KJ-1A Kongjian-1A

KJ-1B Kongjian-1B

KJ-1C Kongjian-1C

I hope everything works out well :)

3959274_orig.jpg

(From test, not actual flight vehicle)

Edited by xenomorph555

I wonder if it's even worth asking but...

Will there be live launch coverage?

Hmm not sure, probably not since the event isn't big enough for CCTV3 to show up. There will be photos and and videos very soon after though as well as people on Weibo/Twitter to say whats happening in real time.

The design was originally a single-diameter 2.25m design, using as a first stage the booster that's been displayed for CZ-7; but that design had only about 500kg payload (so low demand), and the booster would be built at CALT with other CZ-7 components: both unacceptable to the main contractor, SAST. The new booster uses 3.35m tooling SAST already had for CZ-4, and increases payload.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(EDIT: This was based on posts in this thread and not actual occurence) Having a 12h delay makes some sense actually, considering that they just need to change the inclination from positive to negative (wrt previous trajectory), or having a node 180 deg apart from the intended location (ie. DN becomes AN, AN becomes DN). Looking at the payload it seems that inclination isn't very important, in fact having a morning launch helps with the illumination.

H2O2 is also called HTP when used in rockets and is a viable option when you doesn't have cryogenic tech, it's decomposision being exothermic. One source gives an Isp of 316 s vs. RP-1/LOX Isp of 360 s .

Edited by YNM

"Keroperox" is an interesting combination, not one I've known used before. Unlike kerolox it's all storable, with advantages for reigniting upper stages, missiles, and perhaps dry mass savings since peroxide is both denser than LOX and won't require insulation. Unlike hypergolics the fuels aren't as toxic, though HTP is still not something you'd want on your hand. And perhaps only having one fuel (the kerosene) to deal with makes things simpler and cheaper. The big minus is keroperox isn't to my knowledge hypergolic; I wonder if the Chinese have a nice way to make a reignitable engine?

"Keroperox" is an interesting combination, not one I've known used before. Unlike kerolox it's all storable, with advantages for reigniting upper stages, missiles, and perhaps dry mass savings since peroxide is both denser than LOX and won't require insulation. Unlike hypergolics the fuels aren't as toxic, though HTP is still not something you'd want on your hand. And perhaps only having one fuel (the kerosene) to deal with makes things simpler and cheaper. The big minus is keroperox isn't to my knowledge hypergolic; I wonder if the Chinese have a nice way to make a reignitable engine?

However you still need LOX for your first stage, second stage is smaller but ISP is relatively more important.

LOX does not have an so fast boiloff, no issue with reignite in LEO or going to GEO. LP1-HTP sounds nice for Moon and similar work.

My guess is that they wanted to use old engine for upper stage.

Wow, this was good news to wake up to.

I managed to scavenge some pictures from the news.

546x390xindex.php,qaction=dlattach,3Btopic=36519.0,3Battach=1069069,3Bimage.pagespeed.ic.3ahb2WEYK_.webp

xindex.php,qaction=dlattach,3Btopic=36519.0,3Battach=1069078,3Bimage.pagespeed.ic._DF0xjLD7i.webp

xindex.php,qaction=dlattach,3Btopic=36519.0,3Battach=1069092,3Bimage.pagespeed.ic.pjy1cunnYW.webp

xindex.php,qaction=dlattach,3Btopic=36519.0,3Battach=1069182,3Bimage.pagespeed.ic.Xs8ptyyAq7.webp

xindex.php,qaction=dlattach,3Btopic=36519.0,3Battach=1069188,3Bimage.pagespeed.ic.1q0zToYf-z.webp

xindex.php,qaction=dlattach,3Btopic=36519.0,3Battach=1069242,3Bimage.pagespeed.ic.ANdK8Q9kiB.webp

The launch was a full success :D. Now onwards to LM-7 > LM-5 and eventually LM-9!

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, the upper stage is RP-1/H2O2 instead of RP-1/O2. Guess they were trying to avoid using cryogenic fuel there, to reduce dry mass and avoid boiloff...?

Anyone know how that mixture compares Isp-wise to classic kerolox?

There seems to be confusion, there is actually a 3rd stage no-one knew about which uses h2o2, the 2nd stage uses keralox.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.