Lag issues? .. try shutting down the bloatware on your system

DoctorDavinci

I keep seeing people having these lag issues on their pc's .. try shutting down all the stupid and useless TSR's and other programs that run in the background on your system while playing KSP

I'm running KSP 1.0.2 on a windows 10 OS with 6GB ram .. A8 ASUS 3.7GHz quad core

I removed all the bloatware and other TSR's from my system that are usless and I am having a great time with next to no lag

1. While this advice may apply to some, there are just as many to which it doesn't. I for one uninstalled all the bloatware I could track down shortly after getting my PC, and I make sure to run as few background processes as possible.

2. Services that you may think are causing a big problem might not be. All the background processes that do run on my PC take up maybe 2% of the CPU power. And even if they took up more, like many here, I have a multi-core system, so as long as at least one core is available KSP's performance will be unaffected.

3. Windows 10 is quite liable to run KSP better than other OSes such as Windows 8, Windows 7, and Mac OSX.

4. 3.7GHz is pretty fast. A lot of us play on laptops or otherwise less powerful rigs that don't go up that high.

5. Next to no lag doing what? I can easily have negligible lag flying around in the example ships, but building a massive Whackjobian leviathan is bound to bog down your computer too.

1. While this advice may apply to some, there are just as many to which it doesn't. I for one uninstalled all the bloatware I could track down shortly after getting my PC, and I make sure to run as few background processes as possible.

2. Services that you may think are causing a big problem might not be. All the background processes that do run on my PC take up maybe 2% of the CPU power. And even if they took up more, like many here, I have a multi-core system, so as long as at least one core is available KSP's performance will be unaffected.

3. Windows 10 is quite liable to run KSP better than other OSes such as Windows 8, Windows 7, and Mac OSX.

4. 3.7GHz is pretty fast. A lot of us play on laptops or otherwise less powerful rigs that don't go up that high.

5. Next to no lag doing what? I can easily have negligible lag flying around in the example ships, but building a massive Whackjobian leviathan is bound to bog down your computer too.

700+ parts launched into orbit with next to no lag .. I fully understand that other people playing KSP may have slower CPU's, however as I said in the title of the post, "TRY" shutting down TSR's and bloatware .. never did I say that this will solve issue's with KSP, it was a suggestion and never did I ever expect to be attacked for suggesting something that may help

Out of the 4 posts I have made on this forum in the past 24 hours I have been attacked for 2 of them .. great community full of doubters and people who think they know

Thank you squad for the game but this KSP forum community is just full of flame wars and idiotic arguments based on nonsensical jibberish .. I offer suggestions based on my experience yet I get attacked for offering information, good on you KSP community

I'm done

Why are you taking what he said personally? Nothing in parameciumkid's post attacked you.

Removing bloatware should be standard practice anyway, it's bloatware. You don't need it. Anyone who hasn't done so already has bigger issues than just lag in KSP.

Also, you keep using the term TSR. TSRs were specific to DOS, so they haven't been an issue since Windows XP. There are no TSRs to remove from any modern Windows distribution. Shutting down unnecessary services is the modern equivalent for Windows, but it's only a rough equivalent.

700+ parts launched into orbit with next to no lag .. I fully understand that other people playing KSP may have slower CPU's, however as I said in the title of the post, "TRY" shutting down TSR's and bloatware .. never did I say that this will solve issue's with KSP, it was a suggestion and never did I ever expect to be attacked for suggesting something that may help

Out of the 4 posts I have made on this forum in the past 24 hours I have been attacked for 2 of them .. great community full of doubters and people who think they know

Thank you squad for the game but this KSP forum community is just full of flame wars and idiotic arguments based on nonsensical jibberish .. I offer suggestions based on my experience yet I get attacked for offering information, good on you KSP community

I'm done

You are being way, way too sensitive here.

Good suggestion. While many of us are tech people, some may not. It is always good to suggest thing that may help.

TSR can still be used by old people like me to refer to thing that load on startup.

This is mostly a very friendly forum and can stay that way if everyone just remember that where all here for the love of the game!!

Also read post for there intent and not there wording. Sometimes we come off in the wrong way without intending to.

Good suggestion. While many of us are tech people, some may not. It is always good to suggest thing that may help.

TSR can still be used by old people like me to refer to thing that load on startup.

This is mostly a very friendly forum and can stay that way if everyone just remember that where all here for the love of the game!!

Also read post for there intent and not there wording. Sometimes we come off in the wrong way without intending to.

Sorry but when I offer a suggestion that may help then I at least expect not to be given a sermon on how what my system has is different than what other people have let alone regardless if the term TSR isn't used anymore that is what they are, 'Terminal Stay Resident Programs'.

The manner in which my post was replied to is the issue I'm having and yes I may be being a bit sensitive, however if someone were to do the same thing in person whether it be about the same subject or not it would result in an argument given the approach of the replier in question

Edited by DoctorDavinci

50% of the time the tone of Internet communications is mistaken (I read this somewhere don't ask me to dig up a source).

Kerbal is physics bound, meaning that the thing that determines performance more than anything is the physics thread. The physics is single threaded and as such bound to a single core. So the only thing that lets you add more parts (with physics, we will get back to that) without lag is a faster core. memory is important and KSP has some memory leaks that cause crashes, like scene changes, but the basic game uses 2.1GB which is easily available in most modern systems. On windows the most it can use is 3.5GB (because it is 32bit only).

Some parts are essentially physicsless, in that they add their mass to the parent part and no other computation is done on them. Take the OXSTAT solar panels, you can put thousand on a craft and not really lag it, try a couple of hundred wing panels and you will have a totally different experience.

So on your 64bit 6GB A8 system there will be plenty of RAM available for KSP, and no TSR is going to matter, you can easily see how much available RAM you have and as long as there is more than 3.5GB available then memory will not be an issue, until KSP hits it's own hard limit of 3.5GB and crashes.

Your advice would be relevant for someone with 4GB of RAM and lower, but know also that the amount of RAM does not determine your FPS, instead that is bound by the speed of your core and the number and type of parts on your ship.

Best way to avoid bloatware is to have a system built instead of buying one from the Big Box store. That way, you won't have all the crap the manufacturer installs on your computer running in the background. You can also avoid a big chunk of bloatware by not using Micro$oft Office. Instead, use Open Office or WordPerfect Office. Only run stuff that you actually use or need. Your computer will boot up a lot faster as well.

I dont see how MS Office should slow down a PC when its installed, i use the newest version and i dont have a process from it. Its only doing stuff when its supposed to do stuff...

Actually upon re-reading my post I myself feel like it may have come across as a bit combative. My apologies - I've been stressed out lately by school and stuff and had to ignore a lot of dumb questions on the SQUADcast earlier that day.

regardless if the term TSR isn't used anymore that is what they are, 'Terminal Stay Resident Programs'.

It's "Terminate and Stay Resident"â€â€this may seem nitpicking but the whole point of TSR's was, after program execution was finished, unlike normal DOS programs that would be unloaded, that they'd stay in memory instead.