Giant mysterious black... monolith?

I was browsing through contracts accepting some of them one of which was the "anomaly surveyor" sending me to Jool. I launched a plane from the launchpad and was casually driving it towards the runway when I noticed that something was casting a huge shadow over the launchpad and half of the rail road. When I reached the end of the shadow, I turned my view back and saw that I have just driven out of an enormous black wall. When I zoomed out the unidentified object took shape of a gigantic black rectangle. Never seen this before... since it was casting shadows I assume it was a physical object and not a bug of any sort.

Any speculations what it actually might be? Surprise from the anomaly surveyor contract pack or "something" else...

CahTORt.png

7vhV4ir.png

I've had this reported a couple times, but have never reproduced it and have never gotten those valuable delicious logs from anyone. Ball is in your court Enceos... perhaps you can succeed where all others have failed? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, while you're at it, can you confirm if it's actually there or just a "ghost". Ie - does it show up at KSC in the tracking station, and can you crash into it? From what I've gathered the answer will be no for both those questions, but would be good to get confirmation.

Yeah, it didn't have any colliders. After a scence change it disappeared. I didn't find anything peculiar in the log.

I might have a chance to reproduce it and give you logs. I'm running S.A.V.E. and have a copy before accepting the final AS contract.

Edited by Enceos

Yeah, it didn't have any colliders. After a scence change it disappeared. I didn't find anything peculiar in the log.

I might have chance to reproduce it and give you logs. I'm running S.A.V.E. and have a copy before accepting the final AS contract.

Yeah, even if there doesn't seem to be anything of value I'll take the logs - it might help me reproduce it. It's either an odd interaction with some other mod, or you just need the right circumstances to make it happen.

Surprised I didn't have this one in the tracker, raised [#301].

Ok, I reloaded my backup save and accepted the contract, launched, took a screen then Alt+F4. My output_log.txt here. I didn't quit the game, just replaced the save file and reloaded. You'll find another load instance in the log.

Magico13 made a log cleaning and organizing application, just in case: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132254

This time the monolith appeared at a different angle:

Mchrwm3.jpg

Edited by Enceos

Excellent, I'll take a look and see what I can find.

The angle will likely change with the time of day/year - it's likely not rotated relative to any reference point. It looks to be centered on the launch pad where a ship would normally be spawned, which is probably somehow relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that it's the cause of the issue, but it sure makes PersistentRotation unhappy:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ITargetable].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Rotate.VehicleRotator.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I don't know what Unity does if a FixedUpdate call fails - it may be preventing something else from running to clean up the monolith. Are you able to do a quick test without PersistentRotation to see if the issue then goes away?

Cool, well at least that's one less thing to look at when I get home. Actually, I think I have a guess as to the problem:

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at mega.monolith, index 0.Node 'ModuleTripLogger' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleAGX' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleTripLogger in other indices...
...no ModuleTripLogger module found on part definition. Skipping...
Monolith loaded!
RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: OnVesselCreate(15a37be4-1030-42be-b78e-2e20449e992b, Monolith)
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There's the Action Groups Extended error, but I think that can be ignored. I'm guessing the TripLogger not found is the real issue, and it stems from me cleaning up the monolith part (it used to be a command pod for no good reason) without fixing up the .craft file. So I suspect if I clean up the craft file to remove the modules that shouldn't be there it'll fix this (although I'm not sure why I wasn't able to reproduce this last time I tried).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.