Deleting the command pod invalidates entire spacecraft

When I'm building my spacecraft and I decide to change the command pod, the very first piece of all, if I delete it the rest of the spacecraft turns red (invalid) and I can't do anything, even if I add another command pod, I can't couple it. Is this a bug or has a solution?

Edited by Winderfo
Answered

You need to change the root part - use the button in the top left of the VAB that looks like a Z with a dot at either end.

This will let you select a new part to base the vessel around. At the moment your ship is rooted on the command pod. When you delete that there is no root part to start from.

Welcome aboard!

I'm assuming the pod was the part you placed first, and is therefore what is called the "root part". Selecting the root part and deleting it will delete everything else.

The simplest method to change pods is to detach the rest of the rocket, delete the pod, select the new pod, then reattach the rest of the rocket.

You can also use the Root Tool to change which part is the root, allowing you to change out pods more easily.

Edit: Ninja'd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.