Problem with mods not loading

Hello, i have a problem with some mods not loading.

I have just bought a new PC and ive installed KSP and moved across my saves and reinstalled the mods i was using before.

I have Kerbal also installed on me secondary HDD also on this PC.

If i launch KSP via the KSP.EXE in the folder c:/program files (x86)/KSP_win then the game loads with my most recent save and no mods,

but fi i launch via the KSP_Launcher then it loads mods but not the most recent saves.

This is very odd, im not sure if theres an issue with the game intall on the secondary hard drive or if theres something else affecting this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've had the same when moving folders around; my user account is of the type "Limited user" for safety reasons, and while steam will install it with all permissions required to have it access and create save files, when I start copying it into folders that are somehow restricted, Windows forgets those permissions and I have to manually set them. I found that when Kerbal doesn't have permissions to write in the save directory in your Kerbal install directory, it switches to some folder buried under my \Users\[my users] folder somewhere. Perhaps KPS launcher is launching with admin rights and your direct launch isn't, or the other way around, and that may be causing a difference. Try creating a new game in either, using distinctive and different name, and do a search on your harddisks for directories with those name to find where it actually thinking it needs to get your saves from.

Basically it is a bad idea to keep KSP in Program Files directory (the UAC stuff problems with permissions). Just place it somewhere else. I bet it should solve your problem.

Also you've mentioned that you've moved your career. Just to be 99% sure, reinstall base game, copy the GameData folder items (excluding Squad folder) from your old game to your new ksp dir and saves dir (and screenshots if any). For a 100% reinstall all mods that were used on old game from scratch one by one (newest versions available). You simply can't go wrong with this. And launch normally by KSP.exe.

======

Gah I'm dumb. I think I know the cause.

Hello, i have a problem with some mods not loading.

(...) ive installed KSP and moved across my saves and reinstalled the mods i was using before.

I have Kerbal also installed on me secondary HDD also on this PC.

If i launch KSP via the KSP.EXE in the folder c:/program files (x86)/KSP_win then the game loads with my most recent save and no mods,

but fi i launch via the KSP_Launcher then it loads mods but not the most recent saves.

I see it like this. KSP.exe launches the version you're physically in at the moment you start it. But the launcher can launch the other instalation or something. Just to be perfectly sure try that method mentioned above.

To do:

1) Get a clean install anywhere else than C:\Program Files\

2) Copy your old GameData contents into your new installation GameData (excluding Squad folder)

3) Copy your saves, Screenshots, Ships directories from old to new gamedir.

4) Launch your game from the new gamedir by KSP.exe

If you want to be extra careful @ point 2 do a clean installation of mods based on your old GameData dir.

Now it should purr like a kitten.

Edited by Ald
enlightenment

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.