All this talk about cockpits has made me realize...

Pax Kerbana

Two-person pod, four-person pod, three-person "egg" (Soyuz-alike), small hitchhiker hab (for the top of the egg)... I think those would round it out. Maybe add the KN-2 and cockpit from KAX for additional airplanes. The inline cockpit is fine for "fighter" jets, tbh.

I'd agree there are a lot of distinct roles that need to be filled and our current ones need to be brought into a consistent balance between each other. what we don't need to waste ram on is keeping two identical cockpits for the sake that one looks like a research plane and the other looks like a fighter jet. #ThrowAwayTheOldMk1

I`ve sort of given up inside on the hope that the next update might have something for longer range space flight or science or improved character animations. All I expect is more and more and more parts for spaceplanes.

I'd agree there are a lot of distinct roles that need to be filled and our current ones need to be brought into a consistent balance between each other. what we don't need to waste ram on is keeping two identical cockpits for the sake that one looks like a research plane and the other looks like a fighter jet. #ThrowAwayTheOldMk1

#ILikeTheOldMK1KeepItPlease

The current mk1 should be tuned to be different from the new one, such as having a higher heat or crash tolerance.

The current mk1 should be tuned to be different from the new one, such as having a higher heat or crash tolerance.

I think that if we were going to keep it, the lumps on the sides should be replaced with mini-intakes so it'd not only be different but useful too.

I think that if we were going to keep it, the lumps on the sides should be replaced with mini-intakes so it'd not only be different but useful too.

light cheap and convenient might barely pass as a role barely... but they shouldn't keep that old scrap heap of a model/texture I'd rather see them waste time making a new one in everyone's desired yet redundant "fighter plane" style then see them keep the lower quality model.

I think we need a sleeker MK3 cockpit that fits the spaceplane theme better than a shuttle-style cockpit. The current one just isn't sleek enough. An airline-style one would be nice too

sleeker = 3 man

airliner = 2 man

like I said there are functional roles to fill before we go trying to fill everyone aesthetic needs with different styles of identical plane cockpits

I ..um.. drive...and occasionally fly primaryly using the IVA view..

mostly using sam halls Kn2 3 seater mark 1 cockpit..

id love to make larger trains or aircraft but lets take into account being able to SEE out of the damn thing as well?..

I mean the shuttle looks nice but tough luck flying that in any internal seat and still being able to see the instruments and outside well enough..maybe im bias though? I just cant fly the mark 2 and 3 for this reason..in space or atmospheric..

certainly not as a train either.. fix the IVA views as well

I am not a fan of retiring existing assets post the 1.0 release.

I am not against the creation of new assets, although some improved filtering/sorting functions in the construction buildings would be nice (eg, use the "manufacturer" filter to filter by mods, which is what it always seemed like it should have been for, and/or allow people to create top level categories more easily than having to write a custom dll, and/or allow filtering by typed text).

I am a fan of having higher visibility cockpits, although I understand the rationale behind the current design. Most people don't use trackIR or similar and it would therefore be more of a hassle to have "look-down" instruments like modern high fidelity simulators do, the current cockpits (Mk1 spaceplane cockpits, that is) have about the same instrument-to-window screen space as older flight sims.

I'd love to have higher visibility in the cockpits as well. When I'm IVA flying, I always find myself wanting to use some form of seat-elevation-increase because I feel like I'm 5 years old trying to 'drive' Dad's old car. I understand, it was done to make it easier for the average person to fly IVA, but at the same time, they've made it almost impossible to land in IVA because you can't bloody see what's in front of you. It's like putting a gigantic supercharger through the hood of your car as far as visibility destruction.

Plus, I do believe it's possible to right click in IVA, which enables mouse-look. Need to see where you're flying? Move the mouse up until you can see. Need to know your altitude? Move the mouse to look. I know, I'm the odd one out who insists on flying planes with a keyboard, but then again, I find that to be a fun challenge.

To get back on the original question: Yes, I would prefer more capsules and pods. Now we basically have 2 pods and some cans.

As I don't expect to get stock 1.8m parts, then a 2 person 2.5m pod, lighter than the MK1-2 pod, would be a very good start. Say 2 to 2.5 tons in total? Because of the lack of this kind of pod I use the Corvus mod or HGR.

And an easy way to filter out all spaceplane parts in the VAB - I very rarely use them there.

I think that's enough space plane stuff for awhile now.
Yes, I personally don't have much fun with planes - it's a space program game ;). But it's fine to have these parts and the possibility to do it. Lot's of people like these spaceplanes and have fun with them. So - great that KSP is for them as well. But lately new rocket parts or even updates on textures (some 2.5m tanks) have been very sparse. Of course there are mods to fix all this, but still...

Since some people really like the old inline single seat cockpit, I'd say I'd support keeping it, and adding the new style one. The old one... I love the idea that someone had on making the "humps" into air intakes. Maybe it gets integral air intakes, but loses reaction wheel torque, to make it more inline with an atmospheric cockpit.

Aside from that, I'd support the addition of two additional capsules and another cockpit that I feel are sorely missing from the game... A Gemini like 2 seater, and an Orion or CST-100 like 6 or 7 seater for the large diameter tanks. Honestly, I think the MK3 "shuttle" like cockpit should hold 7 kerbals, and a more streamlined variant should be limited to 4. The shuttle almost always went up with 6 or 7 person crews.

Hmm... I should see if there's an Orion mod.

Edited by richfiles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.