(1.0.4 Compatible) SSP: Space Shuttle Program (On Hold for Internal Reorganization)

Sampa

Should we split the Shuttle into parts like the CSS?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Should we split the Shuttle into parts like the CSS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
    • What's CSS?

Well, it was easier than I thought. Here what the STS engines will like with a Real Plume config:

SSME

http://i.imgur.com/0L4KqAn.png

SRB

http://i.imgur.com/cRuJZNb.png

OMS

http://i.imgur.com/4TQiggr.png

Note that to have this work, you need Real Plume (obviously) and Smoke Screen installed. I suggest you to limit the numer of particles in the Smoke Screen GUI to 3000, otherwise you have risk of lag with SRB.

Here's the Dropbox link to the cfg: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lze3ul2561ada3n/AAAgCunBAggLE_ye7tZK35kga?dl=0

Copy the cfg in GameData and enjoy.

P.S. If you don't like something, feel free to ask for changes.

The SRBs look great! However, iirc the SSME used hypergolic fuel so it wouldn't have a smoke plume, and the plume is much more faint the further away from the engine you look...if you look at some launches you should see! Really great work all the same :)

Sampa, Mike-nz,

You guys figure out the organization yet and what the goals are? Having those will help. Because the next step would be courses of action, which is really where the fun is.

Sorry, been rather busy with school, but we have put out a new update for the shuttle. Will be getting on that step as soon as I'm done with homework...if I'm not burned out first...

In the first period of STS missions, the SSME were fueled by Kerolox, then by Hydrolox. Since in RO this STS has Kerolox as fuel, I used the same one. Btw, if you want, I can make an alternative config for Hydrolox.

Ah alright...my mistake! I would appreciate another config as an option

In the first period of STS missions, the SSME were fueled by Kerolox, then by Hydrolox. Since in RO this STS has Kerolox as fuel, I used the same one. Btw, if you want, I can make an alternative config for Hydrolox.

Not saying that you're wrong, but I'd never heard that. Where'd you read that, and why did they change it?

Look on YouTube the first STS launch, and you'll notice the yellow flame from the SSMEs, due to the Kerolox fuel. In the last years instead, you'll see the blueish- redish Hydrolox fuel. I don't remember the reason or when they changed. I have to refresh my memory.

Look on YouTube the first STS launch, and you'll notice the yellow flame from the SSMEs, due to the Kerolox fuel. In the last years instead, you'll see the blueish- redish Hydrolox fuel. I don't remember the reason or when they changed. I have to refresh my memory.

Hey, everything looks great! I was about to say that the SSME smoke was wrong, but that info makes more sense. I did make a thread with an ABC showing of the STS-1 launch

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link to that:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133617-STS-1-Launch

" After the external tank was filled with hydrogen fuel and oxidizer, NASA discovered that 32 panels of insulation on the tank had peeled off."

http://history.nasa.gov/sts1/history.html

I think the NASA site disagrees with you, Nansuchao. I hope I'm not being a bother, but engines are built to fly on one fuel combination, aren't they? It'd take a lot of changed injectors, plumbing and other equipment to change the type of fuel.

Edit: Its highly advised to post your sources, huh? Sorry

Edited by Budgie

Ok, I'm confused...

I remember clearly to saw some STS missions powered by Kerolox and in RO this mod has Kerolox as fuel, so I followed that.

Now I can't find anymore where I found all that Kerolox thingy...

Ok, give me time to eat my dinner and I'll come back with a Hydrolox config.

In case I'm wrong, please everyone sorry me.

Ok, I'm confused...

I remember clearly to saw some STS missions powered by Kerolox and in RO this mod has Kerolox as fuel, so I followed that.

I didn't mean to make you feel bad or confused! Sorry about that! I know the RO crowd are sticklers for accuracy, so I just wanted to help clear up anything you may have misread or misremembered

Ok, I'm confused...

I'll go do some research into it.

So for this patch, real plumes comes with RO right? Or should the user download it seperately?

And could this be used with stock without real fuels.

Wondering if its something we should include with the mod. With instructions on how to remove it if unwanted.

Ps I will get back to RO FAR configs tonight. Maybe start the hires texture pack

Thanks, it more than I deserve. Real Plume is a suggested mod for RO, but it works great also in stock. The configs I did were in stock.

A stock player just need to download RealPlume and Smoke Screen to have the effect, and obviously the patches. I'll submit the configs to Felger, so they'll become part of the Stock-Real Plume.