Best PC Games - KSP #17

quasarquantum

I'll never understand these "top x something" lists. Is impossible to do such thing. The definition of "best" is not universal. Everybody will have a list of games they consider the best in their categories for one reason or another. A list compiled be some folks on a magazine will inevitably disappoint. I have no less than 5 games that aren't even in that list. There are also entires genres missing completely. Who makes this list?! Well, someone with a very different taste than me, obviously.

Why are there a bunch of multiplatform games that didn't even originate on PC? GTAV, top ranked PC game? I mean, of course I disagree with a lot of the picks and don't care that much about that, but you'd think at least they'd stick with games primarily known as PC games, not just games that one day got ported to PC. Why not throw in FFVII, Ecco the Dolphin, Mega Man X, and Super Mario Bros, all of which got PC ports?

I'll never understand these "top x something" lists. Is impossible to do such thing. The definition of "best" is not universal.

Yeah thats pretty much the same reason that x/10 game reviews are also kinda dumb in my opinion, cuz everyone has there own opinion on whats annoying and whats awesome.

Seeing the first two Thief games on that list made my day, but putting Oblivion ahead of Morrowind is a crime. Also missing was the original System Shock, even though the Underworld engine had terrible controls.

Good to see KSP on the list, good to see some other games I like on there too (not least FTL).

I've always said there's no such thing as "objectively good," you can say a game was successful--it made money--acclaimed--critics and the like spoke highly of it--popular--users gave it good ratings--but good is just down to whether it works for any given player. There are a lot of "good" games on that list that didn't do much for me. I'm not a huge FPS nut so I didn't get much out of Half-Life 2. I never got more than an hour into Morrowind (the NPCs drove me nuts) and I got bored pretty fast with Oblivion too. And I can't fathom putting Mass Effect 2 or 3 ahead of the original, or New Vegas ahead of Fallout 3.

So while it's amusing to see somebody else's opinion on the best PC games ever, that's all I see it as--just somebody's (or in this case a few people's) opinion, not more or less valid than my own. What I liked about this PC Gamer list is that they don't pretend it's the last word, they pretty much present it as nothing more than their own opinions, for us to take or leave.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.