(WIP) The Martian Rockets

Where is the Delta IX? If you guys don't like my interpretation I can get Andy Weir on the line next week.

Here are my specs for it:

We already know that Ridley Scott is just gonna show an Atlas V as it, so we can't get info from the movie.

Why wouldn't it be an Atlas-V? I don't remember them citing a specific launcher. All I remember is that there were discussions about them utilizing a booster for an already planned mission. I could be wrong I plan on rereading the book this weekend so I will let you know for sure.

Why wouldn't it be an Atlas-V? I don't remember them citing a specific launcher. All I remember is that there were discussions about them utilizing a booster for an already planned mission. I could be wrong I plan on rereading the book this weekend so I will let you know for sure.
In the trailer they show an Atlas V. Ridley Scott may be a great director, but he's no Wernher von Braun.

Augustus, do you wanna ask Andy to settle this?
I don't know, I can't exactly say "hey whats the delta ix look like", he's kind of famous now...

I think that I'll tell him what I think of the movie next week and then throw in that you guys are working on a KSP Martian mod and that everyone wants to know what the Delta IX looks like.

But for now I think that my design is pretty realistic...

In the trailer they show an Atlas V. Ridley Scott may be a great director, but he's no Wernher von Braun.

Again I gotta ask I don't remember them citing specific launchers in the book. All I remember Andy saying is "the american booster" and the "Chinese booster" I honestly don't remember them citing specific rockets. Or future iterations of rockets. Now it not impossible for me to overlook something like that but I know that I would have remembered what rockets were used if he cited specific rockets. Why couldn't it be an AtlasV? Remember they repurposed the rocket in the book. The first resupply rocket was designated for another mission.

Again I gotta ask I don't remember them citing specific launchers in the book. All I remember Andy saying is "the american booster" and the "Chinese booster" I honestly don't remember them citing specific rockets. Or future iterations of rockets. Now it not impossible for me to overlook something like that but I know that I would have remembered what rockets were used if he cited specific rockets. Why couldn't it be an AtlasV? Remember they repurposed the rocket in the book. The first resupply rocket was designated for another mission.
No, he said Delta IX. And Taiyang Shen was obviously gonna be launched on CZ-9.

- - - Updated - - -

Since cz-9 and delta IX lift almost the same, cz-9 lifts 130 tons and my 7 clustered delta lifts 120 tons
But Delta IX isn't just a clustered Delta IV. It's a stripped down Ares V minus 2 RS-68's but with 2 CBCs as boosters, along with an RL60 third stage.

No, he said Delta IX. And Taiyang Shen was obviously gonna be launched on CZ-9.

Really?!?! I can't believe I overlooked that. I believe you because I have not read the book since May so it is entirely possible I over looked it. You're right!! Direct quote "The Delta IX thats on the pad right now for the Eagle Eye 3 Saturn Probe"

- - - Updated - - -

You know what would be intresting to ask Andy if you can is if he meant Delta IV rocket? I mean does it sound impossible that he made a typing error and then all the no space savy editors overlooked that error as well? Obviously it takes place in the future so I am sure he meant to mention a future iteration of the rocket. However it would be interesting to know if it was a mistake.

Really?!?! I can't believe I overlooked that. I believe you because I have not read the book since May so it is entirely possible I over looked it. You're right!! Direct quote "The Delta IX thats on the pad right now for the Eagle Eye 3 Saturn Probe"

- - - Updated - - -

You know what would be intresting to ask Andy if you can is if he meant Delta IV rocket? I mean does it sound impossible that he made a typing error and then all the no space savy editors overlooked that error as well? Obviously it takes place in the future so I am sure he meant to mention a future iteration of the rocket. However it would be interesting to know if it was a mistake.

I don't think it was a mistake. Authors typically make sure that they don't have any spelling errors.

I don't think it was a mistake. Authors typically make sure that they don't have any spelling errors.

Obviously!! However by trade I am an editor. I can tell you this you would be surprised what gets overlooked. It's a very simple and easy mistake to overlook. Like I said Andy might have mistyped or made a mistake and editors who are not savy and who don't know much about NASA and rockets will completely overlook something like that.

Obviously!! However by trade I am an editor. I can tell you this you would be surprised what gets overlooked. It's a very simple and easy mistake to overlook. Like I said Andy might have mistyped or made a mistake and editors who are not savy and who don't know much about NASA and rockets will completely overlook something like that.
I asked him if the Delta IX was ULA's answer to the MCT launcher/Falcon XX, and he said yes. I think that he would have said then that it was a typo, right? Edited by _Augustus_

I asked him if the Delta IX was ULA's answer to the MCT launcher/Falcon XX, and he said yes. I think that he would have said then that it was a typo, right?

Ok that makes sense then. Just to be clear though. Don't be fooled authors make mistakes just like everyone else. I believe that was his intention to mention a futuristic iteration of the Delta rocket. However a mistake like that can easily be overlooked. Again I know you spoke with him. I'm just saying in any other circumstance mistakes happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.