Big Bertha Jet Aircraft (Inspired by Twitter)

T-Pilot395

So my friend retweeted this...

AMiEk5B.png

Apparently someone's drunk roommate designed a concept for a airplane. And these were the schematics pictures included.

DnMaa25.pngUi3c0re.jpg

So I took on the challenge of testing to see if it actually works.

CvlwNU8.png

Surprisingly, it does. It flies very well, although I had to set the thrust limiter on the rear engine to about 28%. I'm using FAR with it. Also, it transports crew, which is a big plus as well.

z2f7kUO.png

I wanted to fly it to the old airfield, but my landings were pretty hard and resulted in pieces of plane everywhere. Not sure if this guy's roommate is genius or what. But I'm impressed, nevertheless.

I'll put up the .craft file if anyone's interested in giving it a go.

Update: The guy favourited the tweet I sent him containing pictures of the craft. :D

Edited by T-Pilot395

It looks awesome. Great work!

Regarding your landing troubles, I think you'd have much more luck if you angled the wings like you did with the engines, and did not angle the engines. Angling the wings will reduce drag from fuselage and allow you to land with the nose lower and tail higher. And you could probably also reduce their size with no ill effects.

Edit: You should probably keep the angle on the engines to have thrust aligned with CoM.

Edited by Val

It looks awesome. Great work!

Angling the wings will reduce drag from fuselage and allow you to land with the nose lower and tail higher.

Thanks for the tip and the compliment!

So I basically tilt the front edge of the wings up a bit, right? The size is mainly part of the recreation heheh.

I'll update the design, maybe with a bit more pictures if I nail the landing.

So I basically tilt the front edge of the wings up a bit, right? The size is mainly part of the recreation heheh.

I'll update the design, maybe with a bit more pictures if I nail the landing.

Yes. Tilt up the front edge of the wing, like you did with the front engine nacelles.

Like the wings on this one:

The front edge of the wings are mid-height of the fuselage, while the trailing edge of the wings are at floor-height.Iv7Iq6j.png

Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.