ModuleGrappleNode examples

it's basically same set up as a docking port only exception being the grapple node will dock to anything in game. The depoly animation just moves the grapple node inside of some other collider so you don't stick to something when the grappler is not armed.

it's basically same set up as a docking port only exception being the grapple node will dock to anything in game. The depoly animation just moves the grapple node inside of some other collider so you don't stick to something when the grappler is not armed.

I was just reading one of your post from July of last year Nil, I'm having essentially the same problem you had. I put the transform well out in front of any other colliders and I have Z facing forward. I can grab things with it, no problem. I can arm and disarm. When I try to release tho, things get really strange and I have this

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[FlightIntegrator+OcclusionData].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusionSolar () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightIntegrator.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Below is a pic of what I'm attempting, a tugboat. The 'hooks' move up and down when armed. I have no collision mesh on those but the closest collider is just behind them and the transform is just in front of that. Does it need a collision mesh on the transform? If so, does it need to be a trigger or on a special layer? I know the last thing you mentioned in your previous post was having to make a separate part. I'm hoping I don't have to go that route.

Tug1.jpg

Thanks.

I don't remember the post specifically, if it was in reference to the smallest transparent pod part, then I did end up making a separate part. I think the issue was Grapple/Docking Module can't reside on the same part as Command Module, not sure if there's a way to get around it.

Can't say what that error might mean. There weren't any layers or special settings that I remember, but then again, it's been a while and things probably are different now.

Edited by nli2work

I don't remember the post specifically, if it was in reference to the smallest transparent pod part, then I did end up making a separate part. I think the issue was Grapple/Docking Module can't reside on the same part as Command Module, not sure if there's a way to get around it.

It was and I don't have that problem. The node and the animation are the only things on the part. It docks really nice. It just won't let go. I tried animating the node moving it forward and backward. Didn't help. Basically, I click the release and it kinda lets go. The release button never goes away and most times, the part I was grappling slowly starts levitating while the tug acts... well... normally. If I'm grappling something with multiple parts, it may even separate them very gently and part of it starts levitating. It's all very strange.

Since the error is during KSP runtime I suspect your part is fine, might be something to do with the how the module is configured in the part config file.

Well, I have been playing with the numbers seeing I that had any effect, but I started with what was in the stock config.

PART
{

name = FS_ClipperTugBow
module = Part
author = Fengist

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_front = 0.0, 2.3831, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.6169, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.1169, -0.663375, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 1

TechRequired = generalConstruction
entryCost = 3500
cost = 750
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = Clipper Tug Bow
manufacturer = Fengist's Shipyards
description = Injection molded from all-natural styrofoam, we even planked this stunning hull with the highest quality particle board. *Warranty void if submerged.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = override
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 70
breakingForce = 50
breakingTorque = 50
maxTemp = 2000
fuelCrossFeed = True
MODULE
{
name = ModuleGrappleNode
nodeTransformName = dockTransform
deployAnimationController = 1
nodeType = size1
captureRange = 0.05
captureMinFwdDot = 0.866
captureMaxRvel = 1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = clampAnim
startEventGUIName = Arm
endEventGUIName = Disarm
actionGUIName = Toggle Arming
}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.