adding new professions

nikokespprfan

The other day I was thinking about what kind of professions I'd like to have in addition to the ones we have now: pilots, engineers and scientists.

Then I noticed that ther are in fact no mods that give you extra professions.

So I went searching on the forums and read this:

Moving this to Add-on Development as this would definitely require a plugin at the moment, but it's not clear whether you'd prefer to do that yourself or make a request.

As a reminder, if you see something that needs a moderator's attention, hit the report button rather than posting about it in thread.

On topic, Kerbal roles are currently hard-coded by their names – you can't even change their roles without a plugin. That may change in future releases. Once you have a plugin to do that, you may be able to add a new class and create new traits.

Well that explains why there are no mods for this. But I'm sure all kinds of mods will pop up if this plugin were to be made, and that would be awesome...

So I'm asking: Can someone write this plugin so we can mod new kerbal classes???

I think what you quoted applies for 0.90. In 1.0.x, you can look at the GameData/Squad/Experience/Traits.cfg file.

So you can:

1. Add new Traits (where a trait is something like Pilot/Engineer/Scientist)
  2. Change the title (display name) of a trait
  3. Change the effects for existing/new traits (where an effect is things like "can autopilot", "can repair wheels").

You cannot (without writing code):

1. Create new effects

There are very few mods that add new effects, and I suspect they are all larger mods that add a small trait effect that is consistent with the larger scope of the mod (maybe KIS or KAS has something like this).

I don't believe it's terribly difficult to code up a new trait. I think a mod that provides a bunch of different traits that people could put together however they like would be very cool (hey, that's basically what Contract Configurator does for contracts!) but ultimately might be of too narrow scope to see much use. Why is why you just see modders adding them ad-hoc here and there.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, to expand on this a bit, this is the kind of mod that I'm most interested in - the ones that don't necessarily do anything on their own, but open up tons of stuff for others. A few examples of mods that fall into this category:

• Contract Configurator
  • Module Manager
  • Custom Barn Kit
  • Kopernicus

So although I don't personally have time to work on a project like this, I think someone should totally build a mod with a bunch of "interesting" experience traits. And strategies while they're at it. And I'm sure there's a bunch of other things like this that could be added to a "modder's mod".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.