Atmospheric Analysis in Jool?

I was doing a little interplanetary aerobraking (and discovered how touchy this is with Jool, but it worked with enough tinkering) and noticed my atmospheric sensor claimed it could't be run, even in Jool's amosphere. Does atmospheric analysis just not work with Jool in 1.0.4 or does it need other conditions? I was barely skimming it, down to 197.7km, and traveling upwards of 8.5km/s. Do I need to be going slower? Deeper?

Edited by Kyrt Malthorn

A few missions back I sent a probe on a suborbital descent through Jool's atmosphere and I had no problem recording and transmitting data from the atmospheric sensor. The problem is surviving entry. I had a relatively small probe and I slapped a 3.75m heat shield on it. Even with that big oversized heat shield, the probe barely survived; it had only a few kg of ablator remaining when it finally settled into a gingerly descent.

(edit) FYI, I just looked up my Jool probe and I see that it's total mass was 5055 kg. Using a 3.75m heat shield, that comes to 458 kg/m2. As I said, the probe just barely made it without using up all its ablator. I strongly recommend that anyone attempting this keep their heat shielding loading to ≤458 kg/m2, or else you're likely to go boom! Also note that my descent was started from a low Jool orbit, so the entry velocity was as low as possible. I would have never survived had I attempted an entry direct from a hyperbolic approach. I think the periapsis of my descent orbit was 195 km, but I don't recall what my apoapsis was (probably not more than 500 km).

Edited by OhioBob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.