The unofficial official Photography thread!

Kozak

So recently i've been getting into photography and that kind of thing, and i have some pretty need pics, Will upload a few later.

with that out of the way:

Photography can be amazing at times. a quote i quite like is "Don't bring $50,000 worth of camera gear they said. it's not worth it they said. *insert epic pic of stars from a campsite here*".

Post pictures you either took or just find cool here, i'd love to see if anyone else on the KSP forums likes to take pictures and videos of things.

As well as that you may post your camera specs here, I'll post mine in a second.

I used to do the photography thing, though it's been a few years since I really felt like getting out and taking pictures of anything. (Living in this city really bums me out.) I even played around with star trails and starfield shots once, using only regular old off-the-shelf SLR stuff. And then a couple years ago in the middle of the Texas drought we had a really cold, really dry night right when Jupiter was in the Eastern sky..... So I toyed around with an old 600mm Canon FD-mount lens. Mixed results, given it was manual-focus only:

20131113_jupiter.jpg

Never did get Europa in the shot - it was behind Jupiter the entire time it was visible from my patio.

Anyway, I did play around with some starfield shots a couple winters ago in central West Virginia. The fog rolled in and the ground started to give underneath my car so I had to abort midway through my planned star trail, but, eh. This is one of the spotting photos I took while planning the star trail shot (which didn't look much better, being cut off a tenth of the way through):

20120810_8455_starfield_servia.jpg

Ended up with a halfway ok Milky Way shot later that night (Milky Way over the hills....), but by then I was already too close to the light of Charleston to get anything worth sharing. And my old Canon Digital SLR isn't really made for this type of work. Here's another star field from a few hours later back in the dark parts of the world. Mix of Milky Way and actual almost-morning fog in this:

20120811_8484_centralwv.jpg

(2000x1333 jpeg)

Typically when I head out to take night sky photos, this is the weather I see:

20120809_8392_lightning_sm.jpg

(2000x1138 jpeg)

That shot was actually the night before... I was hoping for clear skies but ended up with one of the worst storms I've driven through. And a couple of ok pictures. As for astrophotography, I still need a good deal of practice and better equipment (glass). More importantly I need to move out of this miserable city and get back out somewhere that doesn't have insane amounts of light pollution. Oh, if only I didn't have to work for a living.....

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Nice lightening shot, Cydonian Monk!

I've been into photography since age 10, but I don't have any shots of the heavens other than the Moon. All of my work is of nature; flowers, insects, birds and animals and such. I don't know if you folks are interested in that. As for my equipment, other than digital 'toys', Nikon-F2s... yea, film. lol

Some of my things; I took it up about a couple years ago and I love it. Don't get out much because of the crazy weather around here but when I do I have a good time. I've never had any classes and I haven't read any books on photography. My lightcatcher of choice is a Canon Rebel T3.

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

^ I'm still messing about trying to figure out depth of field. Still, looks cool.

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

^ Had the urge while shooting out in the woods to see how well I could focus on something. Sticks weren't doing it so took off my dirty watch and wrapped it round a branch. I'm not being paid, so shut up, you think Casio would order that shot as an advert? Maybe for a G-Shock but not my 53W.

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

Nice lightening shot, Cydonian Monk!

I've been into photography since age 10, but I don't have any shots of the heavens other than the Moon. All of my work is of nature; flowers, insects, birds and animals and such. I don't know if you folks are interested in that. As for my equipment, other than digital 'toys', Nikon-F2s... yea, film. lol

All work is welcome here. :)

(So long as it doesn't violate the forum rules.)

epwL85p.jpg

From right to left - Jupiter, Io and Ganimed.

Callisto was visible on the other side, but it wouldn't fit in the frame.

This picture is actually using two frames since exposing properly for Jupiter makes the moons too dark, and exposing for the moons leaves the Jupiter overexposed.

Edited by Shpaget

...aaand i've been out-pictured... :P

Those are amazing! you must have lightning-fast reflexes if you're able to get those pictures!

EDIT: Pun not intended

Really? My camera doesn't have that i dont think, i'll have to check later. (im about to go ride my bike around and take some scenic pictures) What camera do you use?

I use a Canon EOS Rebel XSI something something something. with a few lenses: 1:1.8 50mm lense. an image stabilizing 28-135mm lense. and another one which i forget what it is.

Well I would be interested in seeing them. I usually look at the ground too when I'm doing photography for leisure :). And yea, bring that F2S !

Really? My camera doesn't have that i dont think, i'll have to check later. (im about to go ride my bike around and take some scenic pictures) What camera do you use?

I use a Canon EOS Rebel XSI something something something. with a few lenses: 1:1.8 50mm lense. an image stabilizing 28-135mm lense. and another one which i forget what it is.

I use a Canon Powershot SX60 HS for digital, I also have a Holga 120.

You won't find a fireworks mode on Rebel XSi (which is the 450D in the rest of the world).

You can, however, set a long exposure (15-30 s), low ISO, stop down the lens and just go wild. Sometimes you'll just get lucky.

If you want to get the lightning every time, get yourself a Canon point and shoot thingy and install CHDK.

For DSLRs there is the Magic Lantern, but I'm not sure if they've managed to get it to work on 450D.

Not so much space related stuff I'm afraid, but I hope you'll enjoy it anyways:

PeklE1Z.jpg

I shot this one while being out with my buddy one cold night in late autumn. Since then I just love driving somewhere at night and taking pictures of civilization.

xdUiQyA.jpg

Another night, a cold and dark november evening with a light mix of snow/rain just coming in.

BuAWMsE.jpg

Yet another night picture, this time the moon, shot with a friend's el cheapo telescope.

hZYmLqi.jpg

I love grilling for several reasons :D

AYExjsG.jpg

Captured this one more by accident than anything else, but the colors of that stones mesmerize me.

bObkePQ.jpg

My grandpa has a pretty cool model railway in his basement, but I especially liked this shot with the train only being a background object

RWneqzp.jpg

I'm more of a chocolate guy, but I still like this picture quite a lot.

Have some lightning pics:

Wow, you were seriously lucky or had a sufficiently convenient lightning storm :D

PS: I hope it's not overkill if I just put them all there without spoiler tags or something :blush:

Edited by Lordherrmann

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.