CZ-11 maiden flight (25th Sep)

xenomorph555

Guess it's because it can be used fastly without needing a huge infrastructure (and from almost any point of their territory), for example, if the launch pad normally used for classic rockets is damaged or undergoing revamps, and they need an immediate launch (guess more for military reasons - spy sats or military commsats - were they would need immediate actions - roll out and erect the launcher anywhere. Chinese already tested some ASAT weapons, and other countries have some.

In case of war, communications would be among the primary targets - followed by destroying means of reestablishing communications (in case of satellites, rocket launch pads are among those means) so mobile launch pads would be much harder to get to than known fixed facilities :) also, as those launchers use solid fuels, mean that they don't need to be fuelled.

(For US, the equivalent could be the various air launched rocket projects :)

What kind of payloads would be considered "emergency payloads"? O_o

I'm not aware of any other country having a launcher dedicated to this task.

EDIT: sniped by sarge.

China already has an operational quick-response launcher, Kuaizhou. It's payloads (also called Kuaizhou) so far have been optical EO sats, and it's apparently intended to be launched to provide extra coverage in the event of natural disasters. This has been demonstrated by the first Kuaizhou, which adjusted it's orbit for better coverage of the 2013 Pakistan earthquake. This could obviously have military applications as well, as intended for similar US projects like SWORDS and ALASA, but the military didn't bite, and all Kuaizhou launches have been made on behalf of the civilian earth observation ministry.

Many do, US has some minuteman silos dedicated for it, guess Russia has multiple, their benefit is larger ICBM.

Main use is to launch military communication and recon satellites if other are taken out.

Know Russia have also used some submarine ICBM for satellite launches but an mobile launcher is new to me.

@Xenomorph555, those 4 or so images in your last post don't show up on my screen.

Looking at the image links themselves, they don't appear to actually point to an actual file. Instead, they have some kind of hash (like the end of a YouTube or Imgur link).

Whatever the case, something in those links isn't able to be processed by the forums.

Edited by SciMan

China might be the only one with an operational launcher of this type, but a bunch of countries have been working on developing them:

http://seradata.com/SSI/2013/09/small-and-sweet-nasa-wants-a-dedicated-launch-vehicle-for-cubesats/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.