Firefly Class! AL-5 Pyralis Mobile Medical Lab / Air Ambulance

AL-5D Pyralis

RfhzT55.jpg

"Firefly-class"

STOVL Mobile Lab

VTOL Air Ambulance

Download from KerbalX!

The AL-5 series vertical takeoff and landing laboratory is designed to provide fast response medical support to humanitarian crises. The design is based on the iconic Firefly-class ship with stardrive removed and nose section lowered for better aerodynamics. Nacelle tilt is actuated by Infernal Robotics Rework Pre-Release, which is available here. I accidentally left a hull camera on the craft file, which I will remove in an update tomorrow - for now, HullCamVDS is also required.

Closed wings provide excellent stability and handling at subsonic speeds. High altitude dash speeds of up to Mach 3.5 is available for urgent conveyance, albeit only practical with a heavier fuel load in STOVL mode. That means nacelles at 45 degrees for short takeoff!

It can also be used as an aeromedical evacuation unit as shown in the craft showcase video.

Edited by pandoras kitten

and how do you managed to make these kerbal walk like that? XD

Full disclosure (parental advisory, graphic textual violence) - I was trying to pose him so that he looked like he got stuck under the overturned truck and needed the Jaws of Life to extricate him, then the game glitched, the truck shifted right on top of him and just about all his bones were literally broken!

I couldnt help but rep for the video. One of the best presentations for an aircraft I have seen in a long long time!

And the aircraft itself is pretty awesome too.

Clever ladder trick there! Now all we need is a tow VTOL for that truck! :wink: Have some rep!

Thanks for the kind compliments :)

Curiously, the aircraft itself is based off my Minmus Surface Lab module. It's practically unchanged from this strange contraption:

gg1zAWB.jpg

Like the ambulance, I made a custom flag for it too.

c4o1h7B.jpg

How cool is this??

Very!

Is this only the SVTOL Lab version? I keep wanting to lift straight up in Ambulance mode. Any chance of a secondary download for the lighter ambulance version?

Ah that's simple - just reduce the fuel load. I takeoff in STOVL config (nacelles 45 degrees) because the endurance in VTOL mode is really short. I may do a quad engine version next for more TWR and larger fuel load.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.