Unity 5, Does It Break Part-Tools?

A question for those more experienced than me (everyone):

Am I free to install Unity 5, or will it break Part-tools, Prop-tools, shaders and other KSP components?

A secondary question, would my Unity 4 KSP project be compatible with Unity 5?

Thanks & Kind Regards.

Edited by Beale

I just made my first part, and my experience was that Unity 5 didn't work with the available PartTools. I had to download an earlier version of Unity. (I got Unity 4.2.2)

As for the rest of your questions, I have no idea. (I just started doing this too.. lol)

You shouldn't even be using Unity 5 until 1.1 comes out, but I imagine that it's in the best interests of Squad to make sure that PartTools are compatible. If it wasn't they'd have to re-part-tool-ify all their parts.

Well considering Squad's rewriting most of their game code for 1.1, I don't think they care... have you actually read any of the Devnote Tuesdays?

HarvesteR mentioned it broke some of the shaders. Edit: http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/119387018756/devnote-tuesday-back-to-work

Edited by GeneCash

I just made my first part, and my experience was that Unity 5 didn't work with the available PartTools. I had to download an earlier version of Unity. (I got Unity 4.2.2)

As for the rest of your questions, I have no idea. (I just started doing this too.. lol)

Well considering Squad's rewriting most of their game code for 1.1, I don't think they care... have you actually read any of the Devnote Tuesdays?

HarvesteR mentioned it broke some of the shaders. Edit: http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/119387018756/devnote-tuesday-back-to-work

You shouldn't even be using Unity 5 until 1.1 comes out, but I imagine that it's in the best interests of Squad to make sure that PartTools are compatible. If it wasn't they'd have to re-part-tool-ify all their parts.

Thanks for the answers, that's a shame.

best to stick with 422 till new PartTools for Unity5 is available. In the mean time you can always have a separate install of Unity5 to experiment with, most of Parttools were working fine when I putzed around with Unity 5 and KSP parts.

Oh? Is it a simple case of installing Unity 5 in separate directory? I thought there would be licencing clashes etc. :)

no licensing issues. Unity is pretty much free for non-commercial stuff. Unity5 Pro version has extra debugging feature that modders almost never use. Every project is in a single folder, easy to keep things separate if you label which project folder is Unity5 and which is Unity4x.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.