Is there a tutorial on the new thermal and radio systems?

As per the thread title. Looking for a tutorial or manual or something that explains the thermal system and radio system.

I'm unlocking tech level 5 blocks in my career now, and have several radiator parts, but have yet found no reason to use them. And I'm only vaguely understanding, if at all, how to use them.

The same for the antennae. I understand they have ranges and various powers and transmission rates, but is there a more in-depth explanation of how the system works?

That's about it really. :cool:

Heating damage really matters since 1.0, right? Radiators are useful to me when I send a rocket with a nuclear engine. Before that, once it heated fuel tank, probe core etc so much that they exploded. Just expand them while burning, and everything will be fine.

And maybe they work when you're really close to Kerbol, I don't know.

It may sound odd, but in the stock game, they are largely cosmetic. Almost nothing besides engines generates heat, most engines don't produce enough heat to significantly heat up the tanks they're attached to, and all parts are unrealistically good at radiating heat by default. The one exception is using multiple LV-N nuclear engines on extended burns. While you can still build ships that can handle it fine without radiators, you'll probably find that they make it easier.

As for antennas, the system is being reworked for 1.1. Until then, all you need to know is that it more or less doesn't matter which antenna you use. :P

I had a probe with an LV-909 and a FL-T200 at full throttle that all of a sudden blew up. Wish I'd had a radiator for that one... but that was a small tank, so keep that in mind, I suppose. That and LV-N's are the only trouble I've had with overheating.

The LV-909 produces barely enough heat to warm a Kerbal's dinner, honestly. And even if it could overload a vessel, it would happen gradually, not suddenly. You probably suffered the typical "random runaway heating in small parts" bug that plagues stock KSP in 1.0.3/1.0.4. It's being investigated for 1.1 though, so that should be a thing of the past soon.

I've found the radiator panels to be great heat shields for re-entry actually. Much more mass efficient than the ablative stuff. They still won't stop you from disintegrating during aerocapture on Eve or Jool though.

I see. Interesting. Thanks. ... ... I sure hope some work goes in soon to putting together some up-to-date documentation. After the changes that 1.1 will make, of course. ;)

One use I DID find for them was to build a make-shift ladder out of two of them so the pilot could get up into the ground-craft after being on the surface ;)

that was before I'd unlocked ladders. I put them upside-down so the mounting struts served as ladder rungs.

Side Note: o.O .. why are ladders so far up the tech tree? the stock tech tree often makes no sense to me. next game I think I want a modified tech tree with logical progression. starting unmanned and with basic planes. might hafta build it myself tho, cuz I'm not seeing any mods that only alter the tech tree without adding other stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.