how do i get lower grade contracts?

My main source of income is tourest trips to suborbital space and back but because of my high rep i don't have those types of contracts anymore. i tryed lowering my reputation but the hard contracts are still staying and because of this i cant get income anymore so.....help? :confused:

Edited by carneyvich

Sorry, i couldn't say how you could get those "tourist on suborbital flight" contracts, but i think you may have better sources of income. Satellite on equatorial contracts (beware not to have 180 degrees inclination) are good for this, specially because you can have 6 of them, (2 around kerbin, 2 around mun and 2 around minmus) and fullfill all 6 of them with just a single ship.

"Space stations in orbit around XXX" are great for money too. Remember you don't have to build fully fonctional stations. Just fullfill the requirements : probe core, antenna, solar panels, room for X kerbals, and that's all. You don't have to put kerbals in it.

These are my preferred income contracts. Pays well, easily and quickly done.

Get the mod Contract FILTER (not Configurator as I mistakenly typed first), this will allow you to 'Blacklist' any types of contracts you don't want and can even pick what types of bodies (Maybe you like only one type of contract but only around Kerbin?). Since you're rep is high you don't NOT have have access to the contracts, the the chances of them popping up this far along are incredibly low. So mod it up and sift until satisfied! (Note: I like low level test contracts at launch pad/landed at Kerbin and I can only get three at a time, by the time the third time one comes up it seems the chances of another become near infinite! So complete those and then sort again)

Edited by Glaran K'erman

A solution which might not need mods might be to reduce the reputation my accepting contracts and then aborting them again. This will make you loose some reputation, I think, until it's low enough to have it low enough to have tourist contracts.

But I'm not sure if it will work. Recovery and tourist contrasts are quite funny sometimes. I landed on Minmus and now I'm getting a bunch of 'test this on launch pad' contracts. Maybe they just appear randomly and you need to decline contracts until they show up on the list.

you didn't answer my question

As i said, "Sorry, i couldn't say how you could get those "tourist on suborbital flight" contracts".

A solution which might not need mods might be to reduce the reputation my accepting contracts and then aborting them again. This will make you loose some reputation, I think, until it's low enough to have it low enough to have tourist contracts.

OP said he already lowered reputation, but it does not work.

If you're going to dump rep, you might as well get some funds or science out of it by doing it via the admin building strategies. :)

Reputation controls the difficulty of the contracts (one, two or three stars), and through that, their payout value. Contrary to popular belief, Reputation does not control contract content apart from a small few contract types having a minimum threshold before they appear at all.

As a result, lowering your reputation does nothing at all in this case.

You no longer get subobital toursit flights because the game has determined your space program has progressed beyond that stage. It looks at your most impressive achievements and uses that as a guideline to generate contracts.

- If you just started out, it generates suborbita tourist flights

- Once you have achieved orbit, it generates orbital tourist flights

- Once you have entered the Mun's SoI, toursist start wanting to go to Mun and Minmus

- Oce you have left Kerbin's SoI, tourists start wanting to go out into solar orbit, to Duna and to Eve

- And so on

This is true for all contract types, including surveys, exploration, science return, station building, base building, satellite launches, and so on and so forth.

You will no longer be offered suborbital tourist contracts, completely independent of your reputation.

OP said he already lowered reputation, but it does not work.

I somehow missed that.

[...]Reputation does not control contract content [...]

You will no longer be offered suborbital tourist contracts, completely independent of your reputation.

Just to let you know carneyvich' date=' you're not going to get what you want without a mod. You'll be declining for days.[/quote']

Well, then the only way is to use a mod.

Do you really use lko rescues as a source of income ? I use it as a way to get free kerbals but, for income, "satellite on an equatorial orbit" seems really better : it takes less time and pays more (specially when a single satellite can complete 6 missions).

For one period of time, yes. Satellite isn't paying too much unless high star ones with weird orbit, which can't be easily batched. LKO rescues are consistent OTOH, and you only need LKO+500ish dV for batch rescuing 4 kerbals, reducing cost. And for me LKO rendezvous isn't taking more time than matching satellite orbits.

Later on interplanetary station contracts will take over.

I must be doing something wrong, every tourist contract I got in the early game was something like 10k for suborbital, and another 4-10k for returning them. I couldn't build (early game ships) to make any profits. I know you can take multiples to increase the profit margin, but I found them pretty tedious, for not much return. I did the minimum to get my base reputation up a bit, to get the more interesting contracts. Have found the satellite missions the most lucrative, but then I have a couple of contract mods added too.

Since replicating the spaceplane scott manley built (with mini satellite with a claw and parachutes) in the ksp walkthrough series, LKO rescues and part returns are pretty good for me now. Also got me loads of practice with rendezvous and precision clawing.

I did see a tourist mission for Duna flyby with a decent return, but I haven't even returned my own crews yet.

As those contracts will still show up, but just with a very low probability, you could just refuse contracts until you get one of the suborbital tourist missions.

But as others have said: Suborbital tourism doesn't pay very well. Part tests, and later satellite missions typically yield much higher income at lower cost.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.