What is going on with this heat?

My ship is exploding to overheating in deep space while trying to do a simple 2 minute burn with LV-N engines. I can't for the life of me figure out why the parts on one side of the far end of my ship are overheating and yet nothing else is.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

In the first image you can see the thermal guages on the upper left of my ship where my lander is attached (one fuel tank and all the connected parts). Note that the other side of my lander is just fine, the temperatures there are around 150 or so (normal for deep space). Nothing on the lander is even activated yet, I'm still doing the transfer to my target of Eeloo.

In the second image I pulled up the temperature debug info for the lander's fuel tank and also for one of the LV-N engines that is currently thrusting and you can see that they fuel tank is about three times as hot. The thermal numbers look really messed up to me on that lander fuel tank (they are bad on all parts in that immediate vicinity).

Is this just some kind of strange bug I've stumbled across?

EDIT: I exited out of the game and loaded back in and was able to execute the burn just fine. Then when I arrived at Eeloo, the same set of parts on the lander had the overheat problem again when I tried to do my capture burn. Again, killing the game and loading back in seems to have fixed it, but this is starting to get really annoying. I'd rather not use cheats, but I'm on the verge of disabling all heat in my game because of this.

Edited by Kelderek

In 1.0.4 the heat system is completely broken. Stock Bug Fix Modules improves the situation, but doesn't fix it. That's why I still play 1.0.2. Let's hope the announced thermal fixes in 1.0.5 will make heat transfer work properly again...

The only workaround for 1.0.4 I know of is to switch off heat in the Debug menu (ALT+F12).

Edit: Now to answer your question what is going on with heat, have a look at what Ferram has to say.

Edited by soulsource

I'd rather not use cheats, but I'm on the verge of disabling all heat in my game because of this.

It's not cheating to turn off heat when it's bugged the hell out :) This is clearly not 'working as intended' so until 1.0.5, just do whatever is necessary to make it stop happening ^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.