Let sombody else do it!! Pay a contractor to fly a mission for you.

I had a thought today, why not have a system where the player could pay kerbucks to have things delivered to orbit, or farther out.

a simple example would be fuel,

If you want an orange fuel tank delivered to LKO you should be able to issue a contract for bid, and then select from 5 or so different contractors to deliver it.

It should be fairly simple to add a system to calculate the expected cost to put a known mass in a certain orbit, beyond this there are multipliers for more specific place ment such as:

rendezvous (match orbits with target)

dock with

and also multipliers to do the contract faster.

beyond Kerbin SOI it would be slightly more complicated, as you would have to factor in launch windows, but it should be do-able.

Beyond delivering fuel you could also have craft or subassemblies delivered. Or to have things recovered, probes, landers or kerbals.

I would expect that the cost would be equal with what you might be paid to fly a similar mission, with a similar time window.

The cost would increase as you add complications, for example, wanting a jumbo-64 in LKO in a month vs a year.

to the OP are you talking about something like this to be made into stock?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37012

i assume though further development to allow for custom missions would be in order

Yes, something like that, only more developed. Ideally I would think you could chose anything between simply deliver to LKO, and docked with a certain vehicle. With intermediate steps like rendezvous within 1km of target.

And of course being able to have craft or parts delivered to orbit with a cost based on orbit and weight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.