Where do I get Directx for Windows 10?

bueskyd

Where do I download the latest version of Directx for Windows 10?

I have been looking for half an hour now, and I just haven't been able to find it.

I don't want to download it from other places than Microsoft, because there could be harmful things in the download.

Could someone give a link to the site, please?

Nor did you Ferret ;)

There is no download for DirectX on Windows 10, it's built-in, the last redistributable available is dated 2010, after that there were only patches.

Beginning with Windows 8.1 and DirectX 11.2, there aren't even any separately downloadable patches, all updates are via Windows update only.

DirectX 11.2 is included in Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 R2.

Note There is no standalone update package for DirectX 11.2. You can only install this DirectX version through Windows Update in Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 R2.

By the way, this leaves Windows 10 users who have a broken DirectX with no recourse other than to repair their install with an in-place upgrade, or a complete reinstall of the OS.

He asked for a link. I gave him a link. The link contains all he needs to know - Windows Update.

Also, you're not left without recourse. You could try to force (trick) Windows Update into reinstalling DirectX. This works for earlier versions of Windows, and I don't see why it shouldn't work for Windows 10 also, unless they've radically changed the registry. Open the Registry Editor ("regedit /v") and change the Version key value for the key "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX"... make it an old version. The Windows Update program should pick that up and download and effectively reinstall it. There's also the "dxdiag" tool, run from a Command Prompt.

On Windows yes, DirectX is used by default by the Unity3D engine on Microsofts operating system.

OpenGL is used on Linux and OSX, and can be forced on Windows, though as the Unity engine is not designed to use OpenGL on Windows there can be graphical glitches.

Currently KSP only uses features from DirectX 9, and while DirectX 11 can be forced by Unity, it's also plagued with glitches.

If you could verify the registy trick works for Windows 10 it'd be really helpful, dxdiag unfortunately won't fix DirectX on Windows 10, as Jodo42 found recently :/

Unfortunately that I cannot do, I am not running Windows 10 and I don't want to - not even for test purposes.

In reading that other link you've posted however, I am scouring other resources. If I find an actual 'solution', I'll post it here.

From what I'm reading so far, Nvidia has dropped DirectX 12 but it's not available yet - but it is WHQL certified. Also, some of what I'm seeing is that Windows Updates is placing components for DirectX 12 in some of the updates?

One thing did that did spark some interest was the suggestion of uninstalling Service Pack 1, and then reinstalling it (for Windows 10). That might fix some DirectX problems some users have.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently KSP only uses features from DirectX 9, and while DirectX 11 can be forced by Unity, it's also plagued with glitches.

I just noticed your post on this. Hummm. Despite having a funkacated DirectX 11 install, perhaps this user could install DirectX 9 ... ? ... it won't hurt the system any, and KSP looking for it will find it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.