[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

You can use the Engineer Redux for the moment. :)

This has been fixed.

Guys get the new DLL from gethub. It's on the first page. There is a repository for a reason.

The only outstanding bug that I have encountered in the newest version is concerning the landing auto pilot. If you try to enter landing co-ordinates before you have reached the landing body's SOI, mechjeb still thinks you are trying to land on the previous body.

Hi,

I'm using Mechjeb 2.0.7 and I'm missing "steering error" info in Smart SAS, which was there in 1.9 version. Is there any way how to show this info again?

Thanks.

Update to the newest version linked in the first post, then you can add the "Steering Error" to whichever custom window you like with the editor

The Landing autopilot is in serious need of work. Sometimes its perfect, Spot on gentle textbook landings. But most of the time my landings are going great until the VERY last second the whole thing flips out rolls over and explodes because right before landing the retrograde marker on the navball likes to wander off and mechjeb tries to chase it without considering that its like 5m above the surface. Sometimes it tries to do this about 50+ above the surface and next thing I know my ship is doing backflips as it constantly overcorrects itself and ends up doing a nosedive into the ground. This needs to be worked out.

That's a bug I haven't seen anymore in a while. I kept having that a lot a while ago but not anymore.

Might be cause I'm more or less constantly using the lastest stuff from the Repo and mess with it myself too ^^;

You could try a newer release from here, that should contain the fix for that problem, whatever it was.

Thanks, I installed the 66 Build, but unfortunatly the same problem occured again. ;.;

It seems that Mechjeb calculates the predicted landing location wrong, otherwise I can't explain the blue marker on this screen. He tries to move the blue marker in the direction of the red marker by going to full throttle, but that brings him only a planetary escape.

Thanks, I installed the 66 Build, but unfortunatly the same problem occured again. ;.;

It seems that Mechjeb calculates the predicted landing location wrong, otherwise I can't explain the blue marker on this screen. He tries to move the blue marker in the direction of the red marker by going to full throttle, but that brings him only a planetary escape.

You wouldn't happen to have your command pod upside down would you?

You wouldn't happen to have your command pod upside down would you?

I'm using the Cupola Module and the glass points to the top of my rocket, so I'm pretty sure the command pod faces in the right direction. :)

I don't know if it's in the newest build, but here's a suggestion: in the manoeuver planner, for the fine-tuning section, could we get a distance field for the approach to ships, like we have for the periapse with planets ?

I always need to change that node because it's actually too damn precise...

Also: one out of maybe 4 or 5 landings end up having a higher suicide burn timer than time to crash. i take over when that happens, but it's still scary.

I'm using the Cupola Module and the glass points to the top of my rocket, so I'm pretty sure the command pod faces in the right direction. :)

Yes, I had the same problem myself today. I used the same ship I used in 0.19 and it worked perfectly then, but in the new version I have this problem.

Suggestion:

It would be really nice to have "update" buttons, especially on the ascent autopilot. If I realize that I got the orbit altitude not the one I wanted, for example at 100, and I want to have it at 120 mid flight.. If I start typing "1.." the ship turns down as if it's taking 1km orbit and rips itself apart! The workaround of course is to select just a single numeral and change it (100), but it's sort of silly to do that. Also there is a problem where the ascent AP will only update if you change altitude, but not if you only change inclination. Therefore it would be better to have an update button so you are completely sure mechjeb has acknowledged your changes. Ascent AP is surely not the only place you could add update button..

I don't know if it's in the newest build, but here's a suggestion: in the manoeuver planner, for the fine-tuning section, could we get a distance field for the approach to ships, like we have for the periapse with planets ?

I always need to change that node because it's actually too damn precise...

Also: one out of maybe 4 or 5 landings end up having a higher suicide burn timer than time to crash. i take over when that happens, but it's still scary.

The rendezvous autopilot had this built in. I believe it's called "Set target distance" or something like that. It's the very last tab under rendezvous autopilot

I have a very annoying problem with the auto landing function. I crashed a Lander with three Kerbs on Duna und tried to rescue them. As I failed to land on my own, I thought I'll give Mechjeb a chance doing the landing for me.

Image: http://puu.sh/3iCLc

But after the high-orbit burn, mechjeb tries to make a course correction. The correction deltaV value drops down to 2-3m/s and then raises until it gets stuck at some point (in this case 14.4m/s).

Image: http://puu.sh/3iCTs

Beyond this point Mecheb just stays at full throttle until it created a course for Duna escape and beyond.

Image: http://puu.sh/3iCZh

Am I doing something wrong? I just want to land and rescue my kerbs.

I have the same problem too:(

The Landing autopilot is in serious need of work. Sometimes its perfect, Spot on gentle textbook landings. But most of the time my landings are going great until the VERY last second the whole thing flips out rolls over and explodes because right before landing the retrograde marker on the navball likes to wander off and mechjeb tries to chase it without considering that its like 5m above the surface. Sometimes it tries to do this about 50+ above the surface and next thing I know my ship is doing backflips as it constantly overcorrects itself and ends up doing a nosedive into the ground. This needs to be worked out.

Some options would be nice, kind of like the ascent guidance. For instance, the "burn to slow down, then cut engines to save fuel, then burn again at the last second" mechanic may be realistic and may save fuel, but has turn many of my more complex vehicles into Mundust. I'd also like to see an option to "tip over" in a direction - I usually have my landing legs on the side of the long towering monstrosity that got them there, and tip the vehicle onto them so that the kerbals can get out without climbing 100m down. Also, it might be too much to expect, but if it could work with rotating/VTOL engines that would be the icing on the cake.

I can actually code but I'm useless at math (decades of letting the computer do the maths for me) so I'd rather not try to implement these but it would be nice.

Edit: or yes, "Invert landing direction" would be good, too - my very first craft to the moon was sent there my MechJeb, a Sputnik with legs on its head and little thrusters on the side that detached from a bigger engine to just put something, anything on the moon. MechJeb happily slammed it "upside down" into the moon, so I got to have landing legs as my first and only things left on the moon.

Edited by GavinZac

Hi Mechjeb is awesome its the best mod i have and its a credit to you for putting this effort in, I would like to ask a question is it possible to make the Rendevous Autopilot have a persistant desied final distance so if I type 30m and it keeps that value rather than the default 100m also the landing auto pilot would it be possible to say choose a radius to land in like 1 m from target

Edited by Virtualgenius

Hi Mechjeb is awesome its the best mod i have and its a credit to you for putting this effort in, I would like to ask a question is it possible to make the Rendevous Autopilot have a persistant desied final distance so if I type 30m and it keeps that value rather than the default 100m also the landing auto pilot would it be possible to say choose a radius to land in like 1 m from target

The first part you change the number you see now. say just click and change 100m to 30m. im not sure about the second part, never tried. i will say, rendezvous has been acting frantic for me. but its probably my fault in some way

Can you show a screenshot or some more specifics about the craft? That's one I haven't read before and it has me intrigued.

That's a screenshot of my spacecraft during the error with the landing guidance.

http://puu.sh/3iCTs

I'm using a cupola modul as command pod. Under the command pot is an empty hitchhiker container attached, followed by a Rockomax X200-32 tank and a poodle engine. On the sides are two FL-T800 tanks with nuclear engines attached, as you can see in the screenshot. On one of the side rockets I mounted the ASAS while the other rocket has two round batteries on top.

The poodle engine is deactivated, I wanted to use it for the start from duna into orbit after landing.

Is there some secret in making the rover autopilot keep a heading? My first design had MJ on the side of the rover. In this case, the rover would just spin in circles. So, placing it on the back, seemed to keep it in a straight line... except when it hit the terrain (specifically on the Mun). Then the heading went off, and the autopilot would simply ignore the fact the steering error was -140.

Does MJ somehow interact with the probe body? I found this was also necessary for MJ to work, so I mounted one on my rover, on the top (the only place available for placing probes on a rover body part).

Any tips would be most welcome!

That's a screenshot of my spacecraft during the error with the landing guidance.

http://puu.sh/3iCTs

I'm using a cupola modul as command pod. Under the command pot is an empty hitchhiker container attached, followed by a Rockomax X200-32 tank and a poodle engine. On the sides are two FL-T800 tanks with nuclear engines attached, as you can see in the screenshot. On one of the side rockets I mounted the ASAS while the other rocket has two round batteries on top.

The poodle engine is deactivated, I wanted to use it for the start from duna into orbit after landing.

Do you have any command module mods installed like the life support one, or the one that adds command pod functionality to the hitchhiker can? I would guess no, and the navball even reflects that mechjeb is burning in the wrong direction, so it's unlikely to be related to the craft at all....

I get the 68yr bug all the time I just cancel all the nodes quick save and reload the try the maneuver again if it still doesnt like it i usually have to start the flight again

if you cancel it, and let the ships get close (closer than comfortable) on the map, you can reenable it again and hopefully it will say "Close to target: plotting to intercept". If it doesn't, you've tried too early; cancel and try again later. This wastes some fuel (I think) but it beats reloading again and again.

if you cancel it, and let the ships get close (closer than comfortable) on the map, you can reenable it again and hopefully it will say "Close to target: plotting to intercept". If it doesn't, you've tried too early; cancel and try again later. This wastes some fuel (I think) but it beats reloading again and again.

thank you for the advice i will try this. i appreciate it

Also Virtualgenius